Brio | ?m | 12s | RioCan

DSC_5691-2.jpg
DSC_5692-2.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome progress thanks for the pictures!

This project and the other Brentwood condos always remind me just how strange and unintentionally designed this city has been - and in some cases, continues to be - especially regarding intensification and connectivity in the NW. Combined with the weirdest planned neighbourhood in Calgary across Crowchild - University Research Park - the whole area is an interesting mix of new/old, significant pressure to redevelop yet entirely derelict land, grid roads and curve-linear road patterns, examples of pushing through a freeway at all costs yet weirdly ignoring or forgetting about missing links and connections for no apparent reason (as opposed to some other areas that have very obvious intentional interventions designed to achieve traffic flow, traffic calming, density, accessibility etc.)

The mall site is a microcosm of this strange combo of intentional and hands-free development, with weird expansions, demos and changes throughout it's history. Check the aerial photo history and it's been strange the whole time https://maps.calgary.ca/CalgaryImagery/

I wish this trimmed panel design wasn’t becoming so commonly used. Stylistically it’s not going to age well IMO, if even beyond completion.

This looks perhaps like window wall with a lot of spandrel as opposed to a Hardy panel on framed wall? Same look though.

I wish this trimmed panel design wasn’t becoming so commonly used. Stylistically it’s not going to age well IMO, if even beyond completion.

This looks perhaps like window wall with a lot of spandrel as opposed to a Hardy panel on framed wall? Same look though.

You got it. This is all window wall panels with a lot of metal spandrel area.

You got it. This is all window wall panels with a lot of metal spandrel area.
Definitely window wall, with non-glass spandrel. I like the gray metallic panels, but the taupe panels remind me of that Torode project in Inglewood.

This product looks like trash on everything, it makes things look so busy with all of the mullion breaks, while at the same time having such a bland texture that lacks depth.

But i mean, who wouldn't want to emulate the timeless style of this building? 805 8 Ave SW

Its not bad but I can see why people are saying it will outdate quickly. Good news is that the whole strip mall parking lot will eventually build out more towers and hide the building from the North, South and West sides. Not a total disaster for a rental unlike the Hat in East Village.

Back