News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary Bike Lanes and Bike Paths

While I don't see the temporary rubber hose ones on this page, you can view the other counters around the city here: http://www.eco-public.com/ParcPublic/?id=4190#
Interesting numbers. A drop in traffic in the areas around downtown (which is expected given the Covid situation) but not as bad as expected, surprisingly strong actually. Other areas like South Glenmore park, or Parkdale along the Bow River have seen significant increases. I'm not surprised as I've been noticing a large spike in recreational cycling.

So apparently Calgary now has 1000km of paved pathways in the city. That has to be #1 in the country, maybe the continent!

It's definitely most in the country, almost surely most in NA.

What do they actually count as "paved pathway"? Large sections of the Greenway are just the sidewalks of suburban arterial roads (particularly on the east side). Hard to compare biking down the side of 52 St SE with biking through a forested river valley.

When looking over the map, it looks to include spray painted bike lanes and roads where there are cyclist symbols included. The true number of paved dedicated cycle paths would be the main trails (Rotary Mattamy Trail, and the Great Trails) as well as paths marked as 'Local Pathway' or those marked 'Cycle Tracks'. As @Silence&Motion mentioned some parts of the Mattamy rotary Trail cut through suburban streets, but it doesn't look to be significant. The great trail looks to be all dedicated pathway.

What do they actually count as "paved pathway"? Large sections of the Greenway are just the sidewalks of suburban arterial roads (particularly on the east side). Hard to compare biking down the side of 52 St SE with biking through a forested river valley.
This map will probably help:

I think 2nd is the one stretch that should be left alone. If the city wants to make a lane better it should be 11st. Are there any numbers for cyclists on 2st? has to be a couple hundred at most.

I think 2nd is the one stretch that should be left alone. If the city wants to make a lane better it should be 11st. Are there any numbers for cyclists on 2st? has to be a couple hundred at most.
I think it further up the priority list as it is seen as an easier corridor to get to the river conflict wise than 5th St.

probably not a lot of traffic on it right now, but it will increase once there's a proper bike lane. its more of a straight shot (only 2 lights between 12th ave and the river) than 5th st. and it will go all the way to the river. build it and they will come

Based on the latest City counts, bike volumes are very similar between 2 St and 11 St SW.

Anecdotally as someone who uses both 2 St and 5 St regularly, 5 St south of 17 Ave has higher peak commuter bicycle traffic but 2 St is more consistent throughout the day.

Does anyone know off the top of their head if there are plans to extend the 5th Street Cycle track? It'd be nice if it went all the way to Elbow Drive.

Back