News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Calgary Bike Lanes and Bike Paths

I did a couple of blog posts about scooters using the Calgary 2019 data; the first one is a more general look, and the second one tries to answer the question "e-scooters: new transportation mode or just screwing around". (Nuanced answer: it's both, of course.)

The thing that caught my eye was that about 20% of scooter trips don't go anywhere; they involve people taking scooters out for a ride and ending back where they started -- a short term leisure rental. That's probably lower than the share of scooter trips that plausibly were made instead of a car trip; only 12% of scooter trips involved a distance over 2 km.

I did a couple of blog posts about scooters using the Calgary 2019 data; the first one is a more general look, and the second one tries to answer the question "e-scooters: new transportation mode or just screwing around". (Nuanced answer: it's both, of course.)

The thing that caught my eye was that about 20% of scooter trips don't go anywhere; they involve people taking scooters out for a ride and ending back where they started -- a short term leisure rental. That's probably lower than the share of scooter trips that plausibly were made instead of a car trip; only 12% of scooter trips involved a distance over 2 km.

Thanks for that interesting and detailed analysis! Despite the average trip distance being fairly low, I believe I heard in a previous Lime presentation that Calgarians on average take longer e-scooter trips than most cities - perhaps because of our extensive river path network.

In the City's latest survey, about 18% of respondents said that their last e-scooter trip replaced "driving their own vehicle". That seems to jive well with your analysis.

Thanks for doing this! I have been sharing it on other sites/social media since it is such an interesting analysis of the 2019 phase of the pilot program.

Heads up folks; there is an engagement on 14th / 15th ave in the Beltline; it is currently a one-way couplet with one-way cycle lanes (this was changed at the start of construction on 17th Ave to permit easier detouring, I think). Options include a more consistent cycle track on 15th.
https://engage.calgary.ca/1415ave
Engagement closes on Sunday.

Heads up folks; there is an engagement on 14th / 15th ave in the Beltline; it is currently a one-way couplet with one-way cycle lanes (this was changed at the start of construction on 17th Ave to permit easier detouring, I think). Options include a more consistent cycle track on 15th.
https://engage.calgary.ca/1415ave
Engagement closes on Sunday.
A more consistent cycle track would be nice. The painted bike lanes they have now suck IMO. I use 12th ave, even if it's a longer route.

A more consistent cycle track would be nice. The painted bike lanes they have now suck IMO. I use 12th ave, even if it's a longer route.
I would like the two-way on 15th and keep the one-way on 14th - the more road space that isn't dedicated to cars in the most urban two streets of the province the better. I always use 12th Avenue eastbound but typically cut over to 14th westbound given how nonsense the signals are on 12th for westbound cyclists. All the pedestrian bump-outs will be great in all scenarios.

Some more info on the proposed cycle lanes for 3rd Ave. As someone who cycles through that area a fair bit, I'm happy so see the separated lanes for cyclists. It's too bad the stretch isn't uniform all the way through, but it's still light years better than what it is now.

ExNRB_XVcAElgKI.png

From the article:
"It'll be a test to see how safe that is with a lot of seniors in Chinatown, they will be leery about walking on the street with a car right behind them. But again, this is something we have to see," Wong said.

I know he's the head of the Chinatown BRZ, but how has he never noticed that this block is already one of the the most heavily jaywalked in the city? (Which makes sense; lots of retail and activity both sides, not a lot of traffic). Slowing the cars down more will only help.

Does anyone have a pathways and bikeways map of Calgary? I can't find one.

Back