News   Apr 02, 2020
 1.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 601     0 

Calgary Bike Lanes and Bike Paths

darwink

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'll try this a few times to see if it is faster than snaking through downtown to get to the river for sure.

Mountain Man

Member Bio
Reaction score
I take the River Pathway to 11st, to 12 Ave. I think they should improve the existing bike lanes on 11th prior to adding onto 12th, I've almost been hit by a car about 20x there.

Mull

Member Bio
Reaction score
So this motion passed, with included $5.5 Mill for active mobility in the Barley Belt (hopefully 42 ave) and other priority pathway connections. However, that is extremely vauge, would someone be able to educate me on what would be the City's next steps and/or where I can get more information now that the motion has passed?

Thank you!
Hi All,
With the recent budget cuts, any idea of this is still on?

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
For me personally, I cycle along that area quite a bit, so I would be happy with a couple of lookouts along the Bow, or even one nice fancy one like the one in @Beazley66's concept. :)

Beazley66

Member Bio
Reaction score
Thanks SP. I walk it twice a day, and my musing about wouldn’t it be great to just provide an opportunity to get out over the water. I’m working on an adaptation that is sited at the Harvie passage, kind of a fun over look to watch kayakers Work their skills.

Mountain Man

Member Bio
Reaction score
Gyms open again on friday, hoping that calms some of the traffic on the bike pathways. Been a very frustrating spring for cycle commuters, too many people out who don't know the rules and / or don't move over for cyclists. Great to see so many people enjoying the city's green areas though.

CBBarnett

Member Bio
Reaction score
Gyms open again on friday, hoping that calms some of the traffic on the bike pathways. Been a very frustrating spring for cycle commuters, too many people out who don't know the rules and / or don't move over for cyclists. Great to see so many people enjoying the city's green areas though.
Would be good to have a bit of normalcy return - but I hope we have officially converted a huge chunk of our population to a more active lifestyle. So many new people going for walks and bike rides, very good to see. All the new flexibility in sidewalk patios, all the extra pedestrian corridors and *finally* an official acknowledgment we don't have wide enough sidewalks and that "beg buttons" are stupid. Huge wins in a scary and uncertain time. I hope we keep the wins and build on them.

CBBarnett

Member Bio
Reaction score
Another thought: I think that the COVID disaster's silver-lining is a shaking off of so much of the baggage of how things were "supposed to be", particularly for public realm, parks and pathways. Every night I see small picnics in parks I used to not see anything, of people hanging out, eating, drinking. Very casual and unprogrammed. Like usual, fears of chaos and disorder are largely overblown in a world where someone actually just uses a public space the way they want - rather than restrict themselves to unsuspicious dog walking and avoid loitering wherever possible. People seem so much more willing to sit on benches, on the grass, hang in parks and just chill. Calgary always had small pockets of this before - but was always overwhelmed by the burden of "can't drink in parks", "it's too cold", "no one bicycles or picnics here" etc.

Many people I know would never have done any of those any outdoor but now do it daily - at first their response was "because we can't go to a restaurant or bar", to "it's so much safer and nice to be outside", to "why haven't we always done this? It's better, cheaper, friendlier, healthier..." Some friends who felt uncomfortable for cracking one beer at a picnic before have now sworn off bars and restuarants until COVID is over in a number of years.

Of course winter and weather do exist and many are will be happy to ease back into the way things were eventually. But I hope that we are seeing the birth of the next generation of active, un-programmed vibrancy in our outdoor spaces. This whole episode is a reminder that the restrictions we place on ourselves or on our public spaces through bylaws are really just an artificial construct. Human-made rules with outdated judgmental overtones and little intuitive rationale struggle to resist change when all the underlying assumptions of how things are "supposed to be" shift dramatically.

Mountain Man

Member Bio
Reaction score
So I think after making numerous 311 complaints and messaging city Councillors about it, the city is going to look at adding barriers and improving signage for the bike lanes on 11st SW. If anyone here uses that lane, I encourage you to reach out to the city and give your input. Personally I've had way too many incidents with cars turning in front of me (from both directions) without any clue I was there, and I think barriers and signs similar to the west end of 8Ave is part of the solution (and more bikes there as well).

The city gets lots of requests about the CPR tracks and the River 9th being obstacles to N-S traffic, but I don't think CPR is interested in an overpass at this point, so don't expect action on that in the next decade or more.

Beltline_B

Member Bio
Reaction score
Calgary has come a long with its bike pathway system. Not only is the system extensive but they're well used.