Beltline Block | 118m | 36s | ONE Properties | Gibbs Gage

I have concerns with all the grey spandrel. Otherwise, all the elements somewhat works. The rest of the block will look worst than it is right now after phase 1 is built.

With this TransAlta building coming down. I see why Preistly Demolition made the big investment moving all the equipment from back east. They have lots of work going on and lined up in the future
Currently doing
-old YWCA
-old Lilydale plant
Future sites?
-TransAlta?
-partial demolition of Future Kenten Project?
-old CBE building?
Anything else they might be doing?

If they won the Green Line contract to demolish the Lilydale plant, I wouldn't be surprised if they're also used to demolish Eau Claire market next year.

I wonder if they're maintaining a partially demolished building T2 to retain parking underneath it?
Perhaps. The cost associated with demolishing all but the ground floor of a 40+ (??) year old building, building a new roof, utility reinstallation, exterior refinishing... seems completely illogical to me but, there MUST be a really good reason

As @whatchyyc said in unbuilt projects. TransAlta initially had plans for a tower where this, phase one, tower is going. It never came to fruition but I have seen images of what the fully built out block would've looked like. I assume the parkade is being maintained and it can be integrated into this pivot for the site from the initial plan to renovate the existing building. The one story building in the northeast corner of the site seems temporary until a tower is added and allows the site to maintain the Centre Street Parkade entrance and close the 1 Street SW entrance.

I love that they're keeping the existing tower, the building is unique and I enjoy its design.

That TransAlta bunker is one of my most hated buildings in the city, mostly because of how badly it destroys the otherwise vibrant stretch along 1st street to the south. I always wished it would be demolished, but didn't think it would actually happen. I do like the modernist tower on the east side of the property. Hope it survives the redevelopment.

Love this, except for the 3 steps up to the retail…. Coulda been a total win.

Back