Beltline Block | 118m | 36s | ONE Properties | Gibbs Gage

Albertasaurus

Member Bio
Reaction score
We seem to finally be seeing a crop of new towers moving forward, or at least being proposed. I hear there's a plan to redevelop the TransAlta bldg site by demolishing most of the main building and replacing it with a 35-ish floor tower. I think it's One Properties doing that one. Also a pair of 25-ish floor towers planned for Heritage Station area by the London towers. These will be formal applications soon, if they aren't already.

Christmas is coming a little early this year

I hear there's a plan to redevelop the TransAlta bldg site by demolishing most of the main building and replacing it with a 35-ish floor tower.
The one on 11th and Centre? I know it's not the friendliest building from a pedestrian realm, but I always kind of liked the architecture of that building. It looks like it should house NASA or some 80s tech company.

Yeah that's the one. I'm with you - I sort of like that building too. But if it'll get rid of a couple hundred thousand SF of office space while adding a few hundred new residents to the area, I consider it a win. Certainly better than what we ended up with at 17th and 4th, ie a gravel lot for how many years.

Yeah, I get it, some more residents will be a nice add.

I know lots aren't interchangeable, but sure would be nice if the big-ass parking lot across the street was developed first before demolishing any existing buildings though.

As mentioned by @Albertasaurus in the Urban Development thread, One Properties has submitted a DP for their latest tower downtown (interesting that they are doing this one ahead of the Metro Ford site or their East Village site):

1702499630139.png

1702499671933.png

1702499708860.png

1702499729183.png

1702499744675.png

It is really weird what they are doing to the TransAlta building but I'm sure they have their reasons. I quite like the tower design, even with the postmodern podium.

I wonder if this will have a future phase on the balance of the lot? There seems to be room for at least one more tower SE of this one.

I wonder if they're maintaining a partially demolished building T2 to retain parking underneath it?

With this TransAlta building coming down. I see why Preistly Demolition made the big investment moving all the equipment from back east. They have lots of work going on and lined up in the future
Currently doing
-old YWCA
-old Lilydale plant
Future sites?
-TransAlta?
-partial demolition of Future Kenten Project?
-old CBE building?
Anything else they might be doing?

Back