Votes: 29 30.9%
  • So So

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Not Very Good

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Terrible

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
Isn't that video the exact same one from a few months ago? I think if they can make the LED advertisement facing 5th ave to be a lot larger, preferably covering that whole white space, the podium can be saved. Calgary really lacks LED advertisements along buildings, they really do help light up the whole street and give that vibe that you belong in a big city. Just look at how Yonge street in Toronto really lights up with all there billboards and LED ad boards, it'd be nice if 17th ave was take to that route one day, thats why I feel dominant LED advertising can really turn the podium around on this one and start a trend.

They should have spent less on visualization and more on architecture.

That is a reeeaally good point. I agree.

That said, after watching that video, I hate it a fair bit less.

All the Neon and LED signage should look decent at night I guess. The architecture is definitely trying too hard, but could definitely be worse, as usual the materials will make or break.

Does anyone happen to be somewhat of an insider on this project? I am a Civil Eng Tech student doing a project on Arris, and I am trying to get site access and more information. I have not been able to get in touch with anyone on the construction management or engineering end as of yet.

Cheers!

It'd be awesome to have a Yonge Street type vibe, but this one project alone wouldn't be enough.
A bunch of small businesses - boutiques, restaurants, etc - at the bases of towers with LED signs and a good night-life and high street presence would be AMAZING.

Hopefully this will the first of many towers to do this. But if it stays being the only one, I'm kinda iffy.

Last edited:
It'd be awesome to have a Yonge Street type vibe, but this one project alone wouldn't be enough.
A bunch of small businesses - boutiques, restaurants, etc - at the bases of towers with LED signs and a good night-life and high street presence would be AMAZING.

Hopefully this will the first of many 17th ave towers to do this. But if it stays being the only one, I'm kinda iffy.

Uhm, this is nowhere near 17 Ave. It's in the East Village.

Dundas Square is specifically designed to keep the bright lights within the square. Bright lights and condo owners just don't go very well together. It's kitschy. More video screens running ads is not going to improve this development or the art and culture in the East Village already.

Dundas Square is specifically designed to keep the bright lights within the square. Bright lights and condo owners just don't go very well together. It's kitschy. More video screens running ads is not going to improve this development or the art and culture in the East Village already.
Yeah, I have a friend who lives in the Embassy Bosa towers in EV, and he is not impressed by this proposed change. Already that light box / art piece of the people walking projects enough light into his bedroom at night. The thought of more is not appealing to him.

Is the Podium going to be connected to the +15 via Bow Valley College?

April 9, 2018

6FE21698-90D1-4BC8-87FF-18A97843BAC9.jpeg

Attachments

• 6FE21698-90D1-4BC8-87FF-18A97843BAC9.jpeg
    6FE21698-90D1-4BC8-87FF-18A97843BAC9.jpeg
    389 KB · Views: 940

Back