News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Alberta Provincial Politics

If an election was held today, who would you vote for?

• UCP

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • NDP

Votes: 42 77.8%
  • Liberal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alberta Party

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters
Honestly I doubt they build an arena within the next 5 years. Now the owners are gonna wait it out until Danielle Smith wins the elections, so they can spend even less of their own money on this arena, that's if she actually has any intention on giving money and not just an empty promise for votes

Man is Smith trying to trigger people! her comments about the Quebec Flames cannot be grounded in reality, there is pretty much zero chance Quebec will get a team before several larger US markets. She just mentions Quebec to try and trigger the anti-Quebec sentiment from her base. I would guess her meddling will only endanger the agreement unless she offers up big money. A new arena will get built, it will just take time to iron out the details.
Doubtful about intent to trigger. Quebec already has a facility and a government courting an NHL team (https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/the-que...m-to-the-capital-but-fans-skeptical-1.5725595). Do any US cities have facilities ready to welcome a team in the short to medium term? Add in that the Seattle expansion team hasn't performed well and the continued struggles of the Coyotes, the chances of a new US team in the medium term is virtually nil.

Conjuring Quebec bashing is an attempt by Smith's enemies to trigger.

I don't know why Smith is entering the arena debate as it will cost her as many votes as it will gain. Calgary is divided on government support for the Flames, which is why a deal hasn't happened. The Oilers had an upper hand in negotiations because the team (and hockey in general) is part of that city's identity.

All decent, ethical, intelligent members of humanity are the enemies of Smith. Her bringing up Quebec at all was an attempt at triggering. She didn’t have to use any specific name, but she chose Quebec, knowing that her base is anti-Québécois. It’s not a difficult concept. She’s a populist guttersnipe ditch pig trying to rile up the lowest common denominator in defense of a delusional ideal of what Alberta should be (the hateful bigoted hellscape it was when she was a teenager). Worse than Kenny at his absolute worst. It’s unbelievable.

Doubtful about intent to trigger. Quebec already has a facility and a government courting an NHL team (https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/the-que...m-to-the-capital-but-fans-skeptical-1.5725595). Do any US cities have facilities ready to welcome a team in the short to medium term? Add in that the Seattle expansion team hasn't performed well and the continued struggles of the Coyotes, the chances of a new US team in the medium term is virtually nil.

I don't know why Smith is entering the arena debate as it will cost her as many votes as it will gain. Calgary is divided on government support for the Flames, which is why a deal hasn't happened. The Oilers had an upper hand in negotiations because the team (and hockey in general) is part of that city's identity.
Uhm ... the Kraken are near the top of the league in terms of % capacity filled, and they've been comfortably in a playoff spot all year. Not sure how you see them as performing poorly, either financially or on the ice.
1676422072362.png

Also, Houston is a MASSIVE market with interest in an NHL team, and the NHL have stated time and time again they have no intention of moving the Coyotes at this time. They've certainly hinted at moving the Flames (empty threats or not) a lot more frequently.

Her comment was totally meant to rile up her anti-Quebec supporters. My dad's generation still has PTSD from the Pierre Trudeau days, plus the separation movements and more recent frustrations about equalization payments. Whether you yourself are upset by any of that or not is your opinion, but it's pretty obvious why she name dropped Quebec three months out from what will be a pretty polarizing election. Agree though, unless she has a concrete plan for getting this arena built that she's going to share and stick to if elected, she really should just stay out of it.

All decent, ethical, intelligent members of humanity are the enemies of Smith. Her bringing up Quebec at all was an attempt at triggering. She didn’t have to use any specific name, but she chose Quebec, knowing that her base is anti-Québécois. It’s not a difficult concept. She’s a populist guttersnipe ditch pig trying to rile up the lowest common denominator in defense of a delusional ideal of what Alberta should be (the hateful bigoted hellscape it was when she was a teenager). Worse than Kenny at his absolute worst. It’s unbelievable.

Hmmm... and this comment comes from someone whose footer says this:

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

No anger in your post. It's just so loving, hopeful, and optimistic...

Hmmm... and this comment comes from someone whose footer says this:

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

No anger in your post. It's just so loving, hopeful, and optimistic...

Nice comeback?

Nothing to comeback from (I don't have a horse in the race). I just have an appreciation for comedic irony 👍
Just as any person, I’m imperfect. At least I try to be decent and ethical. Unlike Smith and anyone who supports UCP policy.

All the talk about the Flames moving has been to Houston, nothing about Quebec before Smith. And the economic reality in Quebec prevents them from having a team anyway, Bettman has all but said so. Quebec is always on Smith's mind, she even states that she wants the same deal for Alberta within Canada that Quebec has (though I'm not sure what that is). I'm surprised she doesn't find a way to use the arena to bash Trudeau! lol

I tend to agree. She already has the votes of anybody who's solidly anti-Quebec., so not sure why she would bring up Quebec other than to try and get some votes from the undecided, who might have some sentiment against Quebec. It's starting to look like the undecided will be the key to the election.

Uhm ... the Kraken are near the top of the league in terms of % capacity filled, and they've been comfortably in a playoff spot all year. Not sure how you see them as performing poorly, either financially or on the ice.
View attachment 456345

Also, Houston is a MASSIVE market with interest in an NHL team, and the NHL have stated time and time again they have no intention of moving the Coyotes at this time. They've certainly hinted at moving the Flames (empty threats or not) a lot more frequently.

Her comment was totally meant to rile up her anti-Quebec supporters. My dad's generation still has PTSD from the Pierre Trudeau days, plus the separation movements and more recent frustrations about equalization payments. Whether you yourself are upset by any of that or not is your opinion, but it's pretty obvious why she name dropped Quebec three months out from what will be a pretty polarizing election. Agree though, unless she has a concrete plan for getting this arena built that she's going to share and stick to if elected, she really should just stay out of it.
And the Kraken did all that without a public subsidy to their arena......
1676489730755.png

Read this interesting article... says what we already know. Win 2/3 (Calgary, Edmonton, NOT Calgary and Edmonton) and you're in, no matter how the popular vote swings.

I tend to agree with what that article says, and even in the face of the most recent polls, I still think the NDP will get the victory. For me nothing's changed, as it all comes down to Calgary, and I think the NDP will take most of the Calgary ridings, even if some are close calls, they just need to get the ridings.

Back