News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Alberta Provincial Politics

If an election was held today, who would you vote for?

• UCP

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • NDP

Votes: 42 77.8%
  • Liberal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alberta Party

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters
Looking at 388 has for all the ridings, it looks like the election may come down to as little as 4 Calgary ridings, showing as toss up, but leaning toward UCP.

1680544821010.png

It’s always been known that Calgary would decide the election now it’s come down to four ridings in Calgary.

I’m feeling positive about this election. Either way it’s a loss for the UCP. If they win it’s not total victory in the sense that a party uniting the right, in the province of Alberta was barely able to beat the NDP. It would be a statement on where they’re headed.
If they lose it’s much worse, it’s a big fat middle finger pointed squarely at the UCP.

The numbers are very clear. The youth of the province, particularly in the cities don’t like the UCP and what the represent, and the that’s where Alberta’s future votes are.

Win or lose the future doesn’t look good for the UCP unless they figure a way to make themselves more moderate.

Last edited:
This was also posted in the transit thread, but it also relates to politics to some degree. The issue of transit safety has become very high profile issue in Calgary and it looks like Danielle Smith is jumping into the mix. I'm not sure if this is a quick vote grab move on Smith's part, but I suspect it will grab some attention and grab some votes. I really hope the NDP can chime in on this as well.

This was also posted in the transit thread, but it also relates to politics to some degree. The issue of transit safety has become very high profile issue in Calgary and it looks like Danielle Smith is jumping into the mix. I'm not sure if this is a quick vote grab move on Smith's part, but I suspect it will grab some attention and grab some votes. I really hope the NDP can chime in on this as well.

I can see some undecided voters deciding to go UCP if they think the NDP isn't going to be tough on crime. Safety has been a real issue lately.

The NDP would be the best bet at helping control these homeless/crime issues over the long term, but tough talk and the perception of action will get some quick votes for the UCP - even though it’s going to solve anything long term.
I’m happy to see more effort going into transit safety.

The NDP would be the best bet at helping control these homeless/crime issues over the long term, but tough talk and the perception of action will get some quick votes for the UCP - even though it’s going to solve anything long term.
I’m happy to see more effort going into transit safety.
Conventional wisdom would say anyone swayed by crime issues are inaccessible voters to the NDP. The best they can hope is inoculation—ensure that the issue as a whole transitions to a non-issue.

That's populism for you. :confused:

I really don't get how anyone would consider voting for Smith, she hasn't got a clue what she is doing and is governing based solely on idealism. This didn't work for Kenny, so now we have an even crazier person doing the same thing and people are expecting different results?
Toews would have been a far better Premier.....boring and austere.

The window to pay down the provincial debt is short as this is likely the last oil boom. With $18B+ in non-renewable resource revenue, the NDP is likely to shovel billions into already over-funded (realtive to other provinves) public services with no menaingful impact on service levels. As bad as Smith has been, allowing the likes of the ATA, UNA and AUPE to have any impact whatsoever on government decision making would be even worse. An NDP government would spend more, meaning more dependence on resource revenues and therefore lessened ability to move past dependence on non-recurring revenues.

The problem is that lots of Albertans just blindly vote conservative in this province. That results in absolute wackos getting in that continue the long running propaganda campaign blaming the federal liberal government for absolutely everything under the sun. If people were smart they would vote for a provincial government that's willing to work with the feds instead of a government that has a sole purpose of fighting everything they do and often times failing spectacularly in the process.

The window to pay down the provincial debt is short as this is likely the last oil boom. With $18B+ in non-renewable resource revenue, the NDP is likely to shovel billions into already over-funded (realtive to other provinves) public services with no menaingful impact on service levels. As bad as Smith has been, allowing the likes of the ATA, UNA and AUPE to have any impact whatsoever on government decision making would be even worse. An NDP government would spend more, meaning more dependence on resource revenues and therefore lessened ability to move past dependence on non-recurring revenues.
This is just simply not true. The idea that conservative (PC/UCP) provincial governments spend less and get more is something that is spun and eaten up. That is because it's what is expected from conservatives (good for the economy, good for my bank account); while you expect the opposite from the NDP (bad for the economy, bad for my bank account). Unfortunately, most people don't look or think past this perception.

I've never seen more wasted spending by a provincial government than the UCP (paid to get out of oil-by-rail, Keystone XL, War Room, Kananaskis Park Pass, Best Summer Ever campaign, funding private and charter schools over public schools, suing the federal government, paying friends to maybe; someday, clean up oil wells, buying children's medicine without thinking about it, studying a provincial police force (that no one is asking for), studying a provincial pension (that no one is asking for)), and I could go on.

So, even though I believe your point is incorrect, if the choice I have is spending on services or that ^. I'll take billions going to a 'over-funded' public service.

Last edited:

Well, the UCP are the ones throwing a crazy amount of money around to buy votes, seemingly without a plan for how this gets spent. Also, did our public service become massively inflated when Notely was premier?

Trudeau is inflating the public service, seemingly without any tangible benefit. So that is half the ammo conservatives need, but I can't recall Notely being the same, she is far more intelligent than Trudeau (so is my dog for what it's worth lol).

One thing I think we need to do in this country is ban Tucker Carlson, that will go against free speech and will get the right wing fuming, but the shit that guy says is just hateful and dangerous, and I feel like a lot of the right wing get their opinions directly from him nowadays.

Is there a left wing Tucker Carlson? there must be a hate monger on the left but I can only think of them on the right.

Back