1st St Chinatown Tower Development | ?m | 28s | El Condor Lands | Perkins + Will

No building permit yet from what I can see (My property map on calgary.ca). The DP still shows as "under review", as it will likely take a few days for the DP approval to catch up to the land use approval at council. Then, it will go into advertising for 2 weeks, where I would bet the farm it gets appealed by the Chinatown CA. So, they may not want to go through the expense of BP drawings until they have that appeal behind them.
Well, as expected, this one has been appealed. If anyone is interested, you can read the report here:
http://calgarysdab.ca/pdf/2018-0194/SDAB2018-0194 Report.pdf

BUT, on the plus side, and the link more of you will likely want to check out, is the DP drawings are posted:
http://calgarysdab.ca/pdf/2018-0194/SDAB2018-0194 Plans.pdf

It's up to the developer, if they want to lease them all to a bank, then they will. I don't like the idea of the city being able to dictate the size and use of a CRU any more than the land-use bylaw already does.

Just out of curiousity how long does the appeals process typically take?
Well, this hearing on January 17th is just a Procedural and Jurisdictional hearing, not a merit hearing. This means (I think...) that the affected parties will meet to discuss and prove how they are effected (why are you a valid person to appeal this). Then, when it is confirmed that they have a valid reason to appeal, the board will schedule the merit hearing. Based on the cannabis store backlogs, that may be into late February or March. Then, when the merit hearing takes place, the verbal decision of the board will be announced that day (after both sides have presented), and the formal written decision issued a couple of weeks after that.

If there is a way to keep all those proposed CRUs as individual units than I think that development will add a lot of character to Chinatown. If a bunch of them end of being merged into a bank or two then I think the positive impact this development will have will drop in a big way.
This, exactly.

I also really want to see this one go ahead.

But, there are some hurdles. I hear chatterings about financial issues.

When we see BP drawings that will be a yuge milestone.
I believe the people behind it are the Hon family of the Guardian project, so not sure how solid the financial backing is.

Well, as expected, this one has been appealed. If anyone is interested, you can read the report here:
http://calgarysdab.ca/pdf/2018-0194/SDAB2018-0194 Report.pdf

BUT, on the plus side, and the link more of you will likely want to check out, is the DP drawings are posted:
http://calgarysdab.ca/pdf/2018-0194/SDAB2018-0194 Plans.pdf

Thanks for posting these. Took a run through and this project is large with hotel, condo, and retail i'm not surprised the community association was opposed. Mind you another hotel and couple hundred residents downtown would add a bit of life.

Hi,
The Hon Family are Very Big Dvlprs in Calgary. While I don't know a lot about them off hand, I will back them because they are a Well Respected Group. I believe
their projects and what have You speak for Themselves. I'd say give it a Few Years. and the Hon Family Name will B a Well Respected Name in Calgary. I wojust B saying something to look good, but its my Views bthat the Hon Family are not afraid to take Dvlpmnt Money and use it for various projects in Calgary. This says a lot.. Give
it a few years and see where they stand.
Tnx,
Operater.

Wow thats just pathetic, Ive lost all hope for Chinatown, I hope they get nothing fixed or built for the next 30 years and have to live with their miserable crumbling buildings. I was so excited for this project, had a Tokyo vibe to it but days like this Im reminded why were still just a city but with a big town mentality. Especially when they said the the opponents concern is that its "too big, too busy," like are u f%#kin kidding me? in the heart of downtown you're scared of more density?:mad:

Back