1st St Chinatown Tower Development | ?m | 28s | El Condor Lands | Perkins + Will

Please bring this back to life as is, part strata / part rental. I love it. Hon Group if you can hear me, build it and i will move in!

tenor.gif

It was entirely in regards to the Chinatown Community Association shutting it down. Their position was essentially that it would destroy Chinatown somehow.

The community association doesn't want the area to gentrify and price out small business and lower income tenants like what has occurred in other chinatowns in North America. They have legitimate concerns but there are ways to address them without halting all development in the area. The lot is on the edge of Chinatown after all.

The community association doesn't want the area to gentrify and price out small business and lower income tenants like what has occurred in other chinatowns in North America. They have legitimate concerns but there are ways to address them without halting all development in the area. The lot is on the edge of Chinatown after all.
I get that, not really sure how you can do any development without that as a concern though. I like Chinatown, but truth be told I wish it was bigger. A development like this could really help make Chinatown more of a destination, but I do understand the fear of being priced out of the neighborhood.

Chinatown sure isn’t doing themselves any favours. The area is dilapidated and run down. There is nothing really there to attract people to go. They need more restaurants and retail and to fix up their crumbling buildings and infrastructure. If they keep it up and block future development they will only set themselves back.

Chinatown sure isn’t doing themselves any favours. The area is dilapidated and run down. There is nothing really there to attract people to go. They need more restaurants and retail and to fix up their crumbling buildings and infrastructure. If they keep it up and block future development they will only set themselves back.
Exactly, look at Vancouver's Chinatown. Now it's on a freefall with homeless people everywhere. A healthy neighbourhood needs to continue to attract investment to thrive. Too much or too little investment is bad. Although the population has increased, Calgary's Chinatown has been showing signs of a declining neighbourhood and with nearby areas like Eau Claire losing businesses and a YMCA, it's not getting any better. This development and the Greenline (connecting Chinese businesses along Centre Street) could really help bring more life into the area.

Back