Calgary Event Centre | 36.85m | 11s | CSEC | HOK

Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
Feels like CAA ICON already have their hand in the cookie jar.

I'm not that familiar with them, so I took a quick look on their website. Some decent projects they've been involved with, but this quote on the their home page caught my eye.

"The easiest $20 million you’ll make is the $20 million you don’t spend on your arena. If you want to optimize your chances of saving that money, call CAA ICON."
Gary Bettman - Commissioner, National Hockey League

If there's ever a mantra that will get you Murray Edwards' business, this is it.

Feels like CAA ICON already have their hand in the cookie jar.
CAA ICON doesn't design stadiums though. Whoever it is I just hope it's not another white round sphere. Both Populous and Dialog have designed those (Videotron in Quebec City and Rogers Place in Edmonton). Hopefully we get something similar to the Ottawa renders.

We’d better get something at least on par with Ottawa’s, given that this is going to be the most expensive hockey arena ever built!

This may be a stupid question but who makes the revenue on non-CSEC events? Or does their lease cover the entire 35 year duration and all events at the Centre?

This may be a stupid question but who makes the revenue on non-CSEC events? Or does their lease cover the entire 35 year duration and all events at the Centre?
Just like the Saddledome post 1994 it is most likely a headlease - CSEC acts as if they're an owner, except in very defined circumstances.

I would guess they stick with HOK. Some of the architectural work completed already would be a head start on the redesign. I don't see them starting from scratch.

I would guess they stick with HOK. Some of the architectural work completed already would be a head start on the redesign. I don't see them starting from scratch.
Is it not a completely different design or do you mean the fact that if you look at the old layout: All that changes is it turns 90 degrees, gets a community rink where the plaza was and a mixed use tower where the parking structure was?

If Smith wins and we're gonna get screwed anyways hopefully it is nicer than the previous HP OfficeJet design. If NDP wins, then fuck Murray Edwards and CSEC. I don't want to spend even more money on tickets to see a team that can't even make the playoffs, or when it does always exits after the first round.

Last edited:

Back