News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

General Construction Updates

Was driving north on Crowchild tonight and right around Bow Trail there was the steel frame of a building poking up above the bridge. It's quite noticeable from Crowchild and I was curious if anyone could point me towards which project it may be?

It’s a storage facility. Perfect use of riverfront property.

For just $100/month your unneeded stuff can have river views! Live vicariously through your stuff!

Was driving north on Crowchild tonight and right around Bow Trail there was the steel frame of a building poking up above the bridge. It's quite noticeable from Crowchild and I was curious if anyone could point me towards which project it may be?

It’s a storage facility. Perfect use of riverfront property.

For just $100/month your unneeded stuff can have river views! Live vicariously through your stuff!
I can see the ad right now: come for the creosote contamination, stay for the high voltage power lines, mainline rail, 17 proximate freeway lanes, backyard high diameter natural gas main, and 12 meter concrete retaining wall. Enjoy the distant sounds of the Bow River and the 12,000 vehicles a day passing your door.

So... CEMA released its climate update #3 along with this.. interesting rendition of our skyline.

ESsWMfRUMAA66h2

What have they got against Vetro, Nuera, and Bankers hall?? ?
(well I can see why Vetro and Nuera...)

So... CEMA released its climate update #3 along with this.. interesting rendition of our skyline.

ESsWMfRUMAA66h2

What have they got against Vetro, Nuera, and Bankers hall?? ?
(well I can see why Vetro and Nuera...)

This one bugs me, and I know I am being overly sensitive, but so be it.
By including this picture, they imply that a downtown Calgary Tornado event is directly the cause of Climate Change.
It's not funny, or appropriate. They are diminishing their own cause by equating climate and weather.

Frankly, in my view it makes them look incompetent to run CEMA.

End Rant.
What am I missing?

Climate change does affect the weather though...

Yes it does.
First, lets just make it clear I was venting and not an expert, and while I still think I am correct, I am open to feedback that I may be wrong.

Here is my case why by including this picture, CEMA is diminishing their own cause and potentially incompetent:

1. Climate change can impact weather
  2. The extent of how climate change impacts weather is extremely hard to predict. For Canada I have seen:
    1. A longer growing season, where we become more tropic
    2. A much colder climate occurring - seems counter to the idea of increased tornadoes
      1. I don't understand this one, but I do understand it isn't some wild theory with no support. This isn't to say the avg earth temp isn't increasing, only that northern places may get colder
    3. Increased flooding events for Calgary (although, I saw no proof of this being related to climate change- just people stating it as fact without rational of how)
  3. However, weather events can still occur, without climate change
  4. A Tornado in Calgary today isn't in the realm of impossibility given we have had one (even if minor) and our friends up north had a terrible one.
    1. Edmonton isn't the same climate as Calgary, but I don't believe that our climate is so far off that of Edmonton's on a summer day we can't get the same humidity, temperature, etc that they had during their deadly tornado - without climate change impacting our weather.
  5. Climate change has tons of misinformation circulating. When CEMA posts this picture, people think of them as extremist- because they seem to be directly implying that climate change will cause tornadoes here that will kill many, so Calgaryians should act now. If you are pro-climate change - you should act now for many reasons, however, not for the reason in the picture (due to what I described above) as from what I understand, it isn't supported by evidence. Is it possible - yes- is there evidence that it will occur- not that I have seen specific to Calgary.
    1. This picture, despite its intent, causes misinformation to spread on a topic we really don't want to have any misinformation spread. It reminds me a lot of the example of someone bringing a snowball to congress to prove climate change isn't real because it snowed when it was usually warm that month.

Groups promoting Climate change causes (or any cause), should stick to facts. When you exaggerate, you diminish your own argument. I know there is a lot of bias toward the Councillor running CEMA, and I assure you, that isn't where I am coming from.

Yes it does.
First, lets just make it clear I was venting and not an expert, and while I still think I am correct, I am open to feedback that I may be wrong.

Here is my case why by including this picture, CEMA is diminishing their own cause and potentially incompetent:

1. Climate change can impact weather It WILL impact weather
  2. The extent of how climate change impacts weather is extremely hard to predict. For Canada I have seen:
    1. A longer growing season, where we become more tropic Our average temperature will go up by a couple degrees, but we will definitely not become anything resembling tropical.
    2. A much colder climate occurring - seems counter to the idea of increased tornadoes
      1. I don't understand this one, but I do understand it isn't some wild theory with no support. This isn't to say the avg earth temp isn't increasing, only that northern places may get colder The theory is that as the arctic warms (faster than any other place on earth apparently) the difference between the arctic zone and temperate zone weakens the jetstream allowing an arctic high (polar vortex if you follow sensationalist media in the US) to park over part of the country bringing an extended period of very cold air. The average temperature will rise though, periods of extreme cold may mitigate the overall trend, but evidence shows temperature averages trending in only 1 direction. At least from what I've seen.
    3. Increased flooding events for Calgary (although, I saw no proof of this being related to climate change- just people stating it as fact without rational of how) Warmer air can hold more moisture, therefore flooding risk increases due to increased precipitation.
  3. However, weather events can still occur, without climate change Agreed, it drives me nuts how every extreme weather event is immediately tied 100% to climate change. That doesn't mean it's not a factor, but it's hard to conclusively state the effect either way.
  4. A Tornado in Calgary today isn't in the realm of impossibility given we have had one (even if minor) and our friends up north had a terrible one. Calgary is 100% at risk of having a tornado, with or without climate change. I've seen funnel clouds in the city before and I've also seen very large rotating thunderstorms over the city before as well. The fact that there hasn't been a tornado here while there has been a city here (about 140 years) is irellevant as the sample size of data is not nearly large enough.
    1. Edmonton isn't the same climate as Calgary, but I don't believe that our climate is so far off that of Edmonton's on a summer day we can't get the same humidity, temperature, etc that they had during their deadly tornado - without climate change impacting our weather. We get more than enough humidity for severe thunderstorms, the hail damaged cars we see in this city are testament to that.
  5. Climate change has tons of misinformation circulating. When CEMA posts this picture, people think of them as extremist- because they seem to be directly implying that climate change will cause tornadoes here that will kill many, so Calgaryians should act now. If you are pro-climate change - you should act now for many reasons, however, not for the reason in the picture (due to what I described above) as from what I understand, it isn't supported by evidence. Is it possible - yes- is there evidence that it will occur- not that I have seen specific to Calgary.
    1. This picture, despite its intent, causes misinformation to spread on a topic we really don't want to have any misinformation spread. It reminds me a lot of the example of someone bringing a snowball to congress to prove climate change isn't real because it snowed when it was usually warm that month. This may imply that we are at a higher risk due to climate change and more severe weather as a result, I don't think it's specifically stating climate change will cause a tornado though.

Groups promoting Climate change causes (or any cause), should stick to facts. When you exaggerate, you diminish your own argument. I know there is a lot of bias toward the Councillor running CEMA, and I assure you, that isn't where I am coming from. Facts are hard to come by with something as dynamic as climate, there are thousands of factors that contribute to this stuff.
Added my comments in Bold from my understanding how this all works. I think climate change is 100% legit, though we don't know the effects of it as it's just starting and it's hard to gauge how a very dynamic climate system will respond.

I'll take 60. ?

Back