6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Do you have the link? Just curious ;)
I think he may talking about this rendering by Rapid Eye Movement
River Districts:
13+FINAL+SLIDE+WITH+TREES.jpg

I'd reword that to say creativity and new businesses are deeply related.

Usually people who are creative and artsy have a tendencies to start new businesses. Usually people that are orderly and conscientious are good at running businesses. I think Calgary should try and do everything possible to attract new start-up companies, whether it be tech, restaurants or something else.

That may be true, but it's unrelated to my point about the relation between culture and jobs. Any time an engineer in the oil and gas sector files a new patent, that's an example of creativity - but it has no (direct) impact on how attractive Calgary is as a place to live.

I found a few renderings of the proposed Alberta Ballet project in Erlton. Does anyone know if this is still in the works?

Image25.jpg
Image24.jpg
Image23.jpg
Image22.jpg

Attachments

• Image25.jpg
    Image25.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 943
  • Image24.jpg
    Image24.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 1,105
  • Image23.jpg
    Image23.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 1,041
  • Image22.jpg
    Image22.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 1,113
I think the city maintains a list of unfunded cultural infrastructure projects. If it is alive, and not brand new, and in line for eventual funding it would be on there. Might have to wait until the budget cycle discussions are done to see a not 4 year old version of a priority list?

That is beautiful. I'm not super hopeful, but I hope the new budget in November includes a large component of funding for cultural expansion. The Alberta Ballet, Arts Commons, and Contemporary Art Gallery will go a looong way towards improving Calgary's lagging cultural scene.

An interior view of the Flames Arena proposal...

IMG_0111.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0111.JPG
    IMG_0111.JPG
    267.3 KB · Views: 720
I’m not sold on that set up. I’m not sure that the ceiling style will make it and really don’t like the windows lol

That is beautiful. I'm not super hopeful, but I hope the new budget in November includes a large component of funding for cultural expansion. The Alberta Ballet, Arts Commons, and Contemporary Art Gallery will go a looong way towards improving Calgary's lagging cultural scene.

Totally agree.

However, it will be a tough sell in this fiscally austere climate. With low lease prices in the core we've lost a lot of our tax base.

I wonder how much the Ballet expansion is forecast to cost? It can't be that much, considering its small size. Like $50 million?

The designs for Alberta Ballet might be old ... or they could be a revamp of old plans, probably $100 million today:
"In 2013, the Board of Directors authorized the Company to undertake the renovation of an adjacent building (Rouleau House), and to begin the planning for the construction of a new building to house both the Company and the School of Alberta Ballet. During the year ended June 30, 2016, as a result of management’s annual impairment assessment, $455,887 of capitalized costs incurred for the feasibility and design of the new building were written off in 2016 as there were no plans to continue with the new building. " https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...154020314/ABC-2016-Annual-Report_FINAL-v2.pdf

From an older annual report:
"
Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 3.20.10 PM.png
"
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/59010632ebbd1a500ec9d024/t/59f25cf3085229b30bfb0fb8/1509055732405/ABC,+AFS+2014,+2014-09-09,+FINAL.pdf

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 3.20.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 3.20.10 PM.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 432
This whole culture/economy has made me think of a report I read awhile ago about this whole labour attraction debate:

http://cityobservatory.org/talent-and-prosperity/

Long story short-
- An educated populace drives prosperity. And it drives it for every income group (higher wages, lower unemployment)
- The target demographic to attract is 25-34 year olds with at least a 4 year college degree. They are the most likely to move between cities.
- This demographic group shows a preference for living in close, urban neighbourhoods

Thoughts?

Back