News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.9K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

A massive proposal is in the works for Sunalta right next to the Train station, along the LRT guideway. It is proposed to include 10% affordable housing. Option one is for two towers of 18 and 26 storeys, while option two is for a single tower of 40 storeys. The bottom part of the tower would be above ground parking, up to the level of the LRT guideway, with the residential towers above, along with a significant retail component at grade. The applicant is seeking assistance from the federal affordable housing strategy for the development, as far as I understand. Mayor Nenshi commented that while they usually hate above ground parking, this is a pretty cool way of making use of an extremely restricted site. Council approved the land use predesignation by 11 to 3.

Sorry for the potato cam image...

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1974.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1974.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 241
The roof will need to be significantly more structurally engineered - compared to the Saddledome - for the concerts argument. The digital ceiling feature is quite cool IMO, but might interfere with that reasoning.

(mostly just trying to distinguish between roof and ceiling ;))

The roof in the Saddledome is probably the most engineered roof in the city, it's just not the right design for supporting large loads. The roof in the new barn will likely just have massive steel trusses, that's the most logical design for an arena.

The roof in the Saddledome is probably the most engineered roof in the city, it's just not the right design for supporting large loads. The roof in the new barn will likely just have massive steel trusses, that's the most logical design for an arena.
Yeah and hopefully some acoustical considerations so we stop getting avoided on tours :p

Was at the Foo Fighters show last night, always amazes me how bad the acoustics are in the Dome. It's the roof sloping up to the nosebleeds that really messes it up, they should find something to block that area off with. Also the jumbotron doesn't help, it can't be taken out for shows, so it helps bounce the sound around a bit lol.

Was at the Foo Fighters show last night, always amazes me how bad the acoustics are in the Dome. It's the roof sloping up to the nosebleeds that really messes it up, they should find something to block that area off with. Also the jumbotron doesn't help, it can't be taken out for shows, so it helps bounce the sound around a bit lol.
When there is a new arena, I bet the dome will be reconfigured to be a lower bowl only type arena, hopefully with better acoustics, and maybe if it is compatible, retractable seating all around so a new large floor can be used for things like the auto show.

No way with a new arena they let the Dome get improved to possibly compete with shows. Good chance it gets demo'd.

When there is a new arena, I bet the dome will be reconfigured to be a lower bowl only type arena, hopefully with better acoustics, and maybe if it is compatible, retractable seating all around so a new large floor can be used for things like the auto show.
I'm 99% sure in the entertainment district plan CMLC intends to have the saddledome demolished once a new arena is in place.

Druh Farrell shared a concept of how the backside of the Municipal building (3rd St.) can be better activated from its current depressing look. No money available for it yet but retailers may show interest in it with some private funding. She say's it is part of the CMLC's CRL (community revitalization levy) plan.
1542476868639.png

1542476885841.png

1542476896649.png

Last edited:

Back