News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Weather and Gardening Discussion

Hi everyone, new to the city, wondering if the last couple weeks (after the spike at the beginning of Feb) is pretty regular weather for Calgary this time of year? I noticed there's a big discrepancy here from morning to night, and the day time is mostly around the highs of the day and the lows are basically overnight. In Toronto, it's much flatter so I'd look at the high-low to judge how warm to dress for the day, whereas here there's almost no reason to look at the low.
Calgary has no normal other than dry and sunny. Due to altitude, distance from substantial bodies of water, low humidity and sparse vegetation, the natural environment has far less ability to store heat than say that of Toronto. The implication is that the sun warms quickly and its absence results in rapid cooling. The other variable is the jet stream, which typically bends north-south from its predominant west-east route due to the Rockies and lessening influence of the Pacific as it moves inland. Calgary is in a unique location as it can be north, south, east or west of the jet stream. Typically, being south or west of the jet stream results in good weather and being north of it results in bad weather. In the summer, being east of it brings heat but for the rest of the year being east would generally result in bad weather.

Hi everyone, new to the city, wondering if the last couple weeks (after the spike at the beginning of Feb) is pretty regular weather for Calgary this time of year? I noticed there's a big discrepancy here from morning to night, and the day time is mostly around the highs of the day and the lows are basically overnight. In Toronto, it's much flatter so I'd look at the high-low to judge how warm to dress for the day, whereas here there's almost no reason to look at the low.
When it comes to normal, the normal for Calgary is at the weather can be anything at any time lol.
I grew up in Southeastern Ontario, and when I first moved here, I couldn’t decide if the winters were warmer or colder. Some days the winters would seem so much warmer, with above freezing temperatures and abundant sunlight, but overnight is usually chillier than SE Ontario.

Overall though, I prefer the warmth and the sun during the day, and as my wife always says, we’re never outside doing anything at four in the morning so the overnight low is kind of meaningless. When it comes down to it for me, it’s probably the sunlight even on colder days. I don’t mind the colder weather if it’s sunny.

I still kind of prefer the hot humid summer days of southeastern Ontario where it really pays off to have a swimming pool but I like the cool dry nights here in the summer.

Also, welcome to Calgary!

Thanks for all the responses! I noticed a question on Reddit today on if winter was over and the responses were pretty funny, I guess it just fluctuates. I don’t have any headache issues so the winter here has been a lot better than I expected (although I know this is a warm year overall). The sunny days and the occasional “breaks” from winter seem like a good tradeoff for the occasional deep freeze. The dryness I’ve found to be more of an adjustment for me than the cold.

I'd say we have a month of proper winter left, then we get to that weird season where plants start to come to life and it snows 2' on top of them.

"What's the temperature right now in Calgary?"
"Plus 11. Also minus 5."
1709240366198.png

This is a hell of a cold front coming in. My condolences to everyone out there with migraines; I'm feeling a little myself.

Here it is from 1 to 2 PM today:
ezgif.com-resize.gif

Last edited:
With the amount of snow falling the mountains currently, I'm surprised it's stayed as nice as it's been in the city! I say bring on the snow, nothing is going to turn green for 2 months, might as well have white instead of brown in the meantime.

With the amount of snow falling the mountains currently, I'm surprised it's stayed as nice as it's been in the city! I say bring on the snow, nothing is going to turn green for 2 months, might as well have white instead of brown in the meantime.
Agree re: the white, but not a fan of the minus teens to minus twenties temperatures...

"What's the temperature right now in Calgary?"
"Plus 11. Also minus 5."
View attachment 544493
This is a hell of a cold front coming in. My condolences to everyone out there with migraines; I'm feeling a little myself.

Here it is from 1 to 2 PM today:
View attachment 544516
I was outside yesterday when the cold hit. I went to wash the car, and it was nice and sunny and warm. Within about 20 minutes it literally changed from 7C to around -3C.

Back