News   Apr 03, 2020
 5K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.9K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 4K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Official opening of the Sam Centre (the Calgary Stampede museum) is on May 29. There was a sneak peek today for Stampede supporters.

Last edited:
Anyone know if the Sam Centre will be a paid admission venue or is it designed more as a free drop-in type space? It would be interesting to check out but not sure if I care enough about the history of the Stampede to pay

Anyone know if the Sam Centre will be a paid admission venue or is it designed more as a free drop-in type space? It would be interesting to check out but not sure if I care enough about the history of the Stampede to pay
Screenshot (200).png

Here's some more information https://globalnews.ca/news/10498869...tampede celebrated the,the wait,” Taylor said.

Quotes from the article:
  • “Sam Centre is a 100-year-in-the-making storytelling gem for the community. It is a space where year-round, those of us who are Stampede lifers get to come and get inspired by the stories of our community, and where people who are just getting acquainted or travelling here from around the world can have a little taste of the heart of the Calgary community.
  • 30,000sqft development
  • $40M total cost - $10M of that is public funding; $5M each from federal and provincial governments. $15M from Don Taylor.
Despite the goals of being "year-round", I don't feel this will see much usage outside Stampede times. Even then, I am sure almost no one would pay the full amount of a ticket as they'll throw in access to this place with your gate admission and other discounts.

I could see it function as a new corporate event place for corporate stampede types to get a private function space outside the normal circuit though. How utilized it would be considering the million square feet of new convention spaces and a bunch other spots that do a similar thing is anyone's guess.

It seems to be mostly designed for tourists rather than locals.
From the Livewire article:
The centre was expected to host more than 80,000 people annually, many of whom will be international travellers who come to Calgary to experience the Stampede but don’t make the 10 days on Stampede Park, Leppard said.

“Those of us who work here, get to watch all of the tour buses drive into Stampede all year, and there’s not much to show them. We’re excited now that even if it’s February and it’s snowing, you will come to Sam and you will experience our Stampede sensations, multi-sensory experience,” she said.

“It puts you at the heart of Stampede, and will really shape what you feel about the Stampede and about our community.”
It also has 3 travel trade packages as options with varying guided tour lengths.

This feels like a building that you'd wander into for the AC during Stampede, be mildly entertained, and then go on your way. Otherwise I don't really see this being a destination for anyone but school field trips, and a few German tourists who are really into cowboys.

It’s a weird uncanny valley that all Calgary history museum type places have fallen into.

• Seems expensive to visit for the size of museum and the amount of stuff in it.
  • Located weirdly so it’s hard or awkward to access for anyone who doesn’t already know how to get there.
  • Unclear how it differentiates between the other small, niche western history venues.
Put simply, I don’t get the point of this place.

Last edited:

Back