News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Walked past the intersection of 17th Ave and 4 St SW today. The 3 restaurant properties next to where that building was demolished are all vacant now. It made me wonder if this is an indication of a development going forward that includes the site of the demolished building and these properties? Anyone know if they're all owned by the same people or could there be another infill on the way for where these restaurants were?
It would be nice to see some development. But as I understand it, Calcutta Cricket Club which was there moved simply because they felt it was a dead zone on 17th surrounded by empty lots and wanted to be in a more attractive location. (now on 1st street SW between 12th and 13th)

The problem with movie theatres is if the tenant leaves, you are stuck with a bespoke space that is difficult to re-position.
This is good to note - but one can’t propose a development thinking it’s going to fail.
Lets go for it already !

I'm fairly certain the London Drugs/Dollarama site on 8th St SW and 17th Ave was originally supposed to be a Landmark Cinema back in the day. For whatever reason it never came to be. Landmark still doesn't have an inner city location. Cineplex will likely rebuild a new theatre at Eau Claire following the demolition of the existing building for Green Line construction so a site at 17th Ave and 4th St for Landmark would be ideal. I think the inner city could support two movie theatres now, especially with the more boutique VIP format becoming popular.

This is regarding Eagle Crest' development / FAAS designer project at 2318 15th SW. It's been called both Versant and Bankview 2310.

Does anyone know what 'In Circulation' means? This was previously 'Approved' which I thought was the final stage of a permit application...

1706557336825.png

Probably just a nomenclature thing with the city's processes. Approvals in Calgary kind of go in 2 stages. There is "approved" and then there is "released". Basically, you can have your development permit approved with several outstanding conditions (usually money for infrastructure upgrades, or a minor change to the plans that don't change the design in any way). What likely occured was this project was "approved", the developer is now getting ready to move forward with construction so need to get it "released", and have submitted everything necessary for that, which puts it back into circulation for review.

This is regarding Eagle Crest' development / FAAS designer project at 2318 15th SW. It's been called both Versant and Bankview 2310.

Does anyone know what 'In Circulation' means? This was previously 'Approved' which I thought was the final stage of a permit application...

View attachment 536122
5 floors and 66 units is fairly large. I'm curious to see what the design looks like.

Edit: NM, I found it already listed a s project in the database.

It would be nice to see some development. But as I understand it, Calcutta Cricket Club which was there moved simply because they felt it was a dead zone on 17th surrounded by empty lots and wanted to be in a more attractive location. (now on 1st street SW between 12th and 13th)
I'm sure the rent on 1st is less than even the dead part of 17th.

I’m curious to see how the citizens of crasmere are going to react to this soon the cities will be connected. Hopefully there will be a mini downtown/commercial corridor in the near future.

Lots of new proposed dense communities. I’m excited about it all of these new districts coming in to make mini downtowns of sorts. The only problem is you still need single-family houses? Do we got any communities like that proposed?

Assuming you mean Chestermere - yes, I think in 5-10 years we'll see uninterrupted development along 17th Ave SE all the way to the border with Chestermere. I think we have plans to extend the Max purple BRT, and for walkable commercial/residential along that corridor. Whether that continues into Chestermere is really up to them. I hope it would, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I believe historically Calgary has annexed neighbouring municipalities when they decided that being part of Calgary would reduce their service costs. So if Chestermere comes knocking it can be discussed but of course in return Calgary's density rules would need to apply. The only other option I believe is the Province could force a merger but I think the less we let the Province taste that kind of power the better personally.

Back