News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

yeah no way they demolish this place with the Ship there? I'm sure the Ship would find a new place if needed but why mess with it as it now very engrained into 17th's identity

I was always under the impression that the Ship owners owned the building itself, or did for a while. Does anyone have a link to the actual listing? Would be curious how they characterize the opportunity.

Agreed - don't move the Ship.

Looks like the City of Calgary is trying to launch a transit oriented development at the Franklin LRT station that will have an affordable housing component. Hopefully they are ambitious with what they propose, that area could definitely use some density. Love the dig Councillor Carra gets in at Westbrook in the article as well. Will Calgary finally have a park and ride lot successfully converted to TOD?

Carra is correct. Just generally, we have squandered opportunities to develop TOD in Calgary for decades. It's an incredible missed opportunity considering our very high transit ridership. Lessons learned should be (1) don't give it all to one developer; (2) make sure any developer(s) involved aren't pension funds who will just sit on the land for decades as Matco did with Westbrook. Say what you want about Cidex, at least you know there's a high probability all their projects will get built.

Carra is correct. Just generally, we have squandered opportunities to develop TOD in Calgary for decades. It's an incredible missed opportunity considering our very high transit ridership. Lessons learned should be (1) don't give it all to one developer; (2) make sure any developer(s) involved aren't pension funds who will just sit on the land for decades as Matco did with Westbrook. Say what you want about Cidex, at least you know there's a high probability all their projects will get built.
It's frustrating to see a built out LRT system with 45 stations, most with Park and Ride lots, but not one single decent TOD. Especially the city was discussing this as far back as the late 90's.

It's ironic that Sunnyside is arguably the best example of TOD, and it wasn't even a master plan or anything driven by the city. It's definitely time for the city to do more than mention just TOD in brochures.

Say what you want about Cidex, at least you know there's a high probability all their projects will get built.
Not sure what the company structure is or was, but I remember that the Westgate Park Condos (Ovation, Encore etc) was built by some entity called Intergulf-Cidex....and honestly that's still one of my favourite condo projects in the last 20 years. I wish more towers looked like them.

Looks like the City of Calgary is trying to launch a transit oriented development at the Franklin LRT station that will have an affordable housing component. Hopefully they are ambitious with what they propose, that area could definitely use some density. Love the dig Councillor Carra gets in at Westbrook in the article as well. Will Calgary finally have a park and ride lot successfully converted to TOD?

Would be great to see. I keep going back to our insatiable demand for mid-density 4 - 6 storey stick frame buildings in every corner of the city - apparently they are economic to build nearly everywhere. If concrete and towers isn't economic in many situations in Calgary, at a minimum I can't see why we shouldn't be able to add 500 - 1,000 units per station of this lower, but still substantially intense, scale.

Not sure what the company structure is or was, but I remember that the Westgate Park Condos (Ovation, Encore etc) was built by some entity called Intergulf-Cidex....and honestly that's still one of my favourite condo projects in the last 20 years. I wish more towers looked like them.
Intergulf and Cidex teamed up on that one, but from what I heard it wasn't entirely amicable and they haven't done any project together since.

Intergulf and Cidex teamed up on that one, but from what I heard it wasn't entirely amicable and they haven't done any project together since.
Ah interesting. Well despite the turmoil they had internally, they did some nice work together. Maybe they can set aside their differences and become the Hall and Oates, or Simon and Garfunkel, of development.

Back