News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Most of Chestermere isn't that different from, like, Coral Springs. I think the main problem they'd have to address is Chestermere Blvd (highway 1A, connects to 17 Ave SE). People talk about "car sewers" here and usually it's melodrama. But this is one of their main streets through the middle of the town and it has large ditches and no sidewalks. It's like if Anderson Road cut through the middle of Calgary.

That’s why we’d put it in a rapidly densifying, high pedestrian trafficked area like 17th and 4th, so the tenant doesn’t go under. 💪🏼
I'd love to see one too, but the risk isn't worth the reward for developers. If you truly want to see one built, the City needs to provide bonus density to incentivize developers. Call your local councilor!

^Calgary should annex Chestermere.
My comment was tongue-in-cheek. I think the land between Calgary & Chestermere was coveted by both municipalities not that long ago and Chestermere won out so I don’t think they’re interested in joining Calgary.
That said, I think Calgary’s “uni-city” model has served it (and the region) very well.

Most of Chestermere isn't that different from, like, Coral Springs. I think the main problem they'd have to address is Chestermere Blvd (highway 1A, connects to 17 Ave SE). People talk about "car sewers" here and usually it's melodrama. But this is one of their main streets through the middle of the town and it has large ditches and no sidewalks. It's like if Anderson Road cut through the middle of Calgary.
There is a plan to widen Chestermere Blvd in the not too distant future, especially now that Chestermere has the Chelsea neighbourhood to the west. They would be smart to do sidewalks on both sides and include mobility lanes as well.

What's this? Can you elaborate?
Basically, that as Calgary has grown over the past decades, it has annexed additional land around it to accommodate that growth within city limits rather than the city boundaries remaining static as has happened in other large cities. So communities like Keystone, Belvedere, Rangeview etc are all located in areas that were annexed from Rocky View County or Foothills (back in 2007 I believe). The idea is that rather than workers commuting into Calgary from other municipalities, using its roads, transit and services but not paying their property taxes here (consider a simple example of Vancouver, which has only 700,000 people itself but requires the infrastructure to serve its broader urban area population of 2.5 million).

Obviously Airdrie, Chestermere and Cochrane have grown into cities of their own, but up into the '90s Calgary's civic population accounted for almost its entire metropolitan population.

EDIT: Badc0ffee beat me to it

I dont see Chestrermere and especially Airdrie, Cochrane or Okotoks (that one is a bit far) to ever be annexed by Calgary. Too big

I think the land between Calgary & Chestermere was coveted by both municipalities not that long ago and Chestermere won out so I don’t think they’re interested in joining Calgary.
Of course there has been a new administration since then: https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/chestermere-council-fired-alberta-government

I dont see Chestrermere and especially Airdrie, Cochrane or Okotoks (that one is a bit far) to ever be annexed by Calgary. Too big
Chestermere is tiny, close by, and is connected to us by essentialy an arterial road rather than a highway. So IMO you never know.

I was looking at a satellite image of Chestermere at the interchange of the TransCanada Highway and I noticed a bunch of blue slides dismantled I was curious to see what used to be there but the satellite imaging for the region stopped before 2001 I'm curious what used to be there

I was looking at a satellite image of Chestermere at the interchange of the TransCanada Highway and I noticed a bunch of blue slides dismantled I was curious to see what used to be there but the satellite imaging for the region stopped before 2001 I'm curious what used to be there
There used to be a small outdoor water park.

Back