News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Opinion on blanket R-CG zoning (not surprising - negative):

My main takeaway is that this debate is not done, it has only started.

Also, this guy's construction company just went bankrupt, I feel like that is relevant context if you are presenting yourself as a housing expert.

Opinion on blanket R-CG zoning (not surprising - negative):

A few fact checks for this article:

"In the community of Erlton, we have been grappling with the influx of high-density developments for the past 10 years"

There's been no material growth or high density projects in Erlton realized in close to 20 years. The population is up 22 people since 2010, and the number of housing units has actually decreased by 4 over that time, at least until 2019.

1696258819293.png

This property below is referenced as an example of a bad outcome of R-CG and infill in general. This site, and most of the neighborhood, is M-CG zoned however. It was built in about 2007, so is also not an example of recent development. M-CG allows up to 12m I think, so also not an exception to the bylaw as far as I can tell. Nor is it an example of intensification - the development predates Google Street view, but looking at the aerial photos it appears to be a 1:1 replacement for two old houses.

As for shadowing, shadowing what exactly? The neighbouring existing buildings are larger than the infill, so the new build doesn't actually shadow their yards or properties. Ironically, due to removal of the older trees to build this infill, the neighbours all have less shadows than ever!
1696259043247.png

1696259579069.png
1696259621657.png

An example of gentrification, perhaps, but density increase no.

"On a residential lot that is designed for two toilets, two sinks and one washing machine, multi-family developments of up to eight times that capacity would undoubtedly overload sewer, water, and power systems for the whole neighbourhood. The lack of foresight in this regard raises questions about the City’s planning priorities."

Well, this infill example probably tripled the amount of toilets due to it being a upscale place, but everything in here is pure speculative nonsense. Let's zoom out in the long run on Erlton, as that's the example chosen by the author.

Erlton population declined steadily since it was built - largely due to demographic decline (1960s onward), clearing of old houses/some neighbourhood boundary changes (late 1970s) and final a big bump when the new development came in around Lindsay Park (late 1990s). Essentially all growth is from that 1990s redevelopment, which would have upgraded the utility infrastructure at the time to accommodate.

1696261580973.png

I am not an engineer - nor is the author of the article - but I am assuming that major developments get reviewed for their utility impacts and charged if upgrades are needed. Meanwhile for everything incremental, the entire community could double in population just to get the pipes back up to 1968 levels of toilet flushes per pipe. There is obviously some gaps here and utilities are a major barrier to more significant redevelopment in some places, but for most low-scale infill I highly doubt it given just how far the demographics have collapsed in most places.

Having dealt with the city's water/sewer department, I can tell you they are well aware of the infrastructure they have in ground, when it went in and its capacity.

The Bow, for not providing the 27 storey atriums, or more importantly, the cultural building on the south block that included the St. Regis hotel facade.
That and it would be great to have a tower redesign. I love the Bow from certain angles, but it would be nice if the NE angle wasn’t as wide as a mountain.

interesting that the empty lot at the corner of 4th Ave SW and 8 St SW is planned to be developed into park space
The lot has been a great location for things like Taste of Calgary, but there are enough empty lots in this City for these one-off events. If it’s not a new high rise condo, I’m glad it will be a park.

Riverwalk West design competition entries are up on the site.
Some interesting concepts. Four of the five do the most important thing IMO, which is create a separated bike path all the way to 14th St. (Braiding Waters has a confusing mix of random pathways crossing each other.) It's great to create new opportunities, but that's the one that is an actual problem with existing conditions.

There seems to be a lot of programming in these; I guess architects have to add features to appeal to people or whatever, but the existing, highly successful sections don't feel to me like they have so many features and bits and bobs. Some of which seem a little odd; one seems to propose the same area for an indigenous open air art gallery and an off-leash area, which is a great way to have a lot of piss on sculptures. There's also a lot of constructed landscapes; adding glacial erratics and foothills and coulees and whatever to an environment that doesn't really have much of those as far as I know. And at the same time, there's a lot of indigenous material in the bids -- which I like, but it's not clear if these are teams of indigenous architects, or if they are collaborating with, or getting comment from, or merely using buzzwords from the indigenous communities. One talks a lot about how they will use a decolonised process; great, but it seems like at least a decent part of the design is already done, so why are you talking about it in the future tense? And is doing substantial earthwork to create novel environments in areas that they have not historically existed is not the first guess of what I would think of as an indigenous perspective on the area (but I have a limited perspective).

Back