News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Saw something on the DMAP for the Holy Cross Facility: https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/?find=DP2022-04054

Couldn't download the documents but the applications says: 'Changes to Site Plan: Retail and Consumer Service (parking and landscape; Exterior Renovations: Retail and Consumer Service (new garage and entry doors, refurbish building facade)'

The thing that drew my eye was the Exterior Renovations. This facility or facilities always did feel a bit disconnected from the surrounding community would love to see it blend in a bit more.
I was born in that hospital.

Would love to see it become redeveloped to include residential as well as current/proposed uses.

I would buy a condo there if that was to become a reality. The location is primo!

I was born in that hospital.

Would love to see it become redeveloped to include residential as well as current/proposed uses.

I would buy a condo there if that was to become a reality. The location is primo!
I would love to see them close that road frontage along the Elbow River and give it the RiverWalk treatment (steps down to the river), with a restaurant, ice cream shop (or something?) and a cafe at ground level under new residential buildings along this mini “RiverWalk” esque area.

Saw something on the DMAP for the Holy Cross Facility: https://developmentmap.calgary.ca/?find=DP2022-04054

Couldn't download the documents but the applications says: 'Changes to Site Plan: Retail and Consumer Service (parking and landscape; Exterior Renovations: Retail and Consumer Service (new garage and entry doors, refurbish building facade)'

The thing that drew my eye was the Exterior Renovations. This facility or facilities always did feel a bit disconnected from the surrounding community would love to see it blend in a bit more.
The Holy Cross site should be completely demolished, connected to the street and redeveloped with public access along the river. The challenges are historical protection of the old, brown-bricked wing, asbestos insulation and cost to raise above floodplain. I also suspect a sweep of the site with ground penetrating radar would reveal some unpleasant surprises.

My 4 siblings were born at that hospital and my mom worked there for more than 20 years.

CMLC gave their annual presentation to Council today, this article seems to sum it up. You will forgive me if I am not holding my breath for a hotel, given how development has ground to a halt in all things CMLC (any private sector development that is). Happy to be proven wrong though:

One thing I learned though was that they had submitted the DP for the Stampede Trail roadway and public realm redevelopment. I missed that one, here is a link to the DP:
From the drawings:
1655263178841.png
1655263202325.png

1655263268774.png

CMLC gave their annual presentation to Council today, this article seems to sum it up. You will forgive me if I am not holding my breath for a hotel, given how development has ground to a halt in all things CMLC (any private sector development that is). Happy to be proven wrong though:

One thing I learned though was that they had submitted the DP for the Stampede Trail roadway and public realm redevelopment. I missed that one, here is a link to the DP:
From the drawings:
View attachment 407630View attachment 407632
View attachment 407633
Of course, we included bollards and a parking lane - but we made sure to include the bike lanes on the other side of them both. Come on City of Calgary, this really shouldn't be hard.. :rolleyes:

From the drawings:
View attachment 407630View attachment 407632
View attachment 407633
I didn't realize CMLC had authority over the road design here.

They seem to be proposing what appears to be unprotect cycling facility in between on-street parking and vehicle travel lane. This has long been not best practice in cycling facility design.
  • What's even more of an issue? What do cars do outside a chaotic sports or event - high volumes of them pull over erratically. Total conflict and disaster waiting to happen in high traffic times.
  • Same thing at the corners - random cross-over points for right turning vehicles over the cycling lane. Total conflict and disaster waiting to happen in high traffic times.
Sure perhaps wider sidewalks and tighter geometry will help a bit, but this is a totally outdated and dangerous design.

Last edited:
Presumably the bollards are required for safety. If they have to be included it’d be nice if the were retractable. Not something we see commonly in Canada.

That design is just bad practice for bike lanes. Unprotected and so many conflicts. This should be a pedestrian focussed street above all else in my opinion if they do intend to have and events centre and arena here. I don’t mean a solely pedestrian street, but that should be the priority, there are a lot of other ways to make sensible cycling connections here

Back