News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Heard that HBC will announce downsizing of its dt Calgary store to 3 floors. No repurposing plans for vacant floors at this point in time.
Ufff, that's not good. At least they're not shutting down the location like Edmonton and Winnipeg, that would be a tragedy. Moreover, I'm concerned with how Holts is doing. I get the regular Calgarian may not care about luxury shopping but having a luxury retailer downtown is critical to ensuring our Downtown stays healthy. Tourists usually hit up such shops and the last thing we need is other luxury retailers inside of Holts relocating to Chinook mall-like Louis Vuitton did. That would be a big blow to our Core.

The HBC building isn't worth what it used to be, wouldn't surprise me if HBC wanted to close. That's the nicest HBC in the country though, is it protected from demolition? would be a tragedy if it happened.

The HBC building isn't worth what it used to be, wouldn't surprise me if HBC wanted to close. That's the nicest HBC in the country though, is it protected from demolition? would be a tragedy if it happened.
Nicest?? Did you mean to say oldest? I would not call it nicest. It is in desperate need of a facelift both inside and out. The floors and ceilings are looking very tired and dated. Escalators are constantly out of order.

Global News: Plans for old Grace Hospital site in Calgary go to council on Monday.
This was passed unanimously by Council. The presentation showed a concept plan for the entire site:
Grace hospital site.JPG

Grace.JPG

Nicest?? Did you mean to say oldest? I would not call it nicest. It is in desperate need of a facelift both inside and out. The floors and ceilings are looking very tired and dated. Escalators are constantly out of order.
I’d agree that it’s the nicest architecturally speaking. It’s definitely not the oldest. The arcade/colonnade is what sets it above the others. It can be restored and likely will be, just like Vancouver’s was. It’s more a matter of when, not if, despite the downsizing.

It's in desperate need of a major renovation, but it's definitely the nicest of the classic HBC buildings. Like Chad mentioned, the arcade is what sets it above the closest (Vancouver's HBC).

Council was talking about the McDonald's on 17th today. Administration was recommending refusal but several Councillors wanted it to go ahead. Anyone know if it passed?

With Canmore proving so difficult to develop in, Bragg Creek could become quite an attractive alternative. Let's hope the County enforces some good urban design, could end up with a real jem of a town and another tourist draw close to Calgary.
I would have thought that Bragg Creek would be more difficult to develop in than Canmore.

Good to see that Hillhurst project get the go ahead from council. 8th avenue there is a ghost town and a traffic increase would be hardly noticed.
Exactly. There are only a couple of ingress\egress points (14th street and 5th ave) and both are right nearby. This will have zero affect when it comes to traffic.

Back