News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

That’s what we have waited 2 years for? A giant patch of grass? I know there is more to it further down where the fountains are but this seems like a waste. Reminds me of a giant school field with dead trampled grass. Would it hurt to plant a tree or two?

The sad thing is that giant patch of grass is actually private land slated for redevelopment. The City of Calgary has signed a short term lease to turn it into green space to add to the park however they refuse to try to purchase the land to make it a permanent addition. I know it's a bit ironic complaining about this on a forum dedicated to skyscrapers however given the lack of quality park spaces downtown, I think it's tragic the City of Calgary can't be bothered to make this a permanent green space.

The thing that burns me about this neighbourhood is that there is no sidewalks on either side of the road. After you go around the corner the sidewalk stops. Why does the City of Calgary allow for such planning? Are we not trying to create more walkable communities?
Especially poignant since it will be so close to a Green Line station, plus the very walkable and retail-dense first phase.

The sad thing is that giant patch of grass is actually private land slated for redevelopment. The City of Calgary has signed a short term lease to turn it into green space to add to the park however they refuse to try to purchase the land to make it a permanent addition. I know it's a bit ironic complaining about this on a forum dedicated to skyscrapers however given the lack of quality park spaces downtown, I think it's tragic the City of Calgary can't be bothered to make this a permanent green space.

Agreed. They could have at least laid some stone pathways as seen elsewhere in the park. Also, some trees. Honestly, I'm not a fan of how many tennis courts we have in the inner city, but this would be perfect size for one, and would be a better use than the eventual dirt patch this will become.

How much could it possibly cost to build 2 tennis courts and a basketball court? A little pavement and some nets/hoops. Even if the property was developed years later it wouldn’t be a huge loss cost wise. Poor planning indeed.

How much could it possibly cost to build 2 tennis courts and a basketball court? A little pavement and some nets/hoops. Even if the property was developed years later it wouldn’t be a huge loss cost wise. Poor planning indeed.
A paved area with hoops would be a massive hit. The one at EV is busy all the time, imagine how busy that location would be.

A paved area with hoops would be a massive hit. The one at EV is busy all the time, imagine how busy that location would be.
Absolutely. Two basketball courts would have 10,000x the usefulness and vibrancy than the grass does in that area. Even if they last only a few years before development, basketball courts aren't expensive enough to worry about. If the short-term lease is in the multiple year timeframe they should absolutely do this just like Bounce in East Village.

I imagine the city doesn’t want a fight on its hands with users if they turned it into something more than just a boring patch of grass. If it’s developed with sport courts and/or pathways and ponds similar to what’s been suggested here and actually looks like something people would be excited about and actually use, it won’t be pleasant when the city has to tell them to screw off if and when building construction ever does begin. That said, personally, I would love a park that’s developed as has been suggested here in that location!

Last edited:
any examples of the parks dept overdelivering?

these are the people that take years to do a job that should take weeks.

the pocket park project next to the royal is going onto its 3rd year next month.

maybe they could have skating here in winter.

any examples of the parks dept overdelivering?

these are the people that take years to do a job that should take weeks.

maybe they could have skating there in winter.
If they pave the lot and have a small 8" high wall around it, they could flood it in the winter for skating. Works for me.

Back