News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

10 foot sidewalk? What is this Paris or something?!

This type of improvement street improvement is not flashy but is probably the single best thing for the street and the area. A huge opportunity to fix several classic parking pole > wheel chair accessibility decisions as my shoddy math illustrated below.

Dreaming bigger and this whole street could go full woonerf/shared space/transit village plaza to everyone's benefit. 3rd Ave NW currently has a minimal role in traffic circulation and parking, and it might have on the highest daily pedestrians/driver ratios on any single block in the city outside of a few city centre exceptions.

We don't have to get rid of vehicles entirely, just rebalance the street to what it's most used for current (pedestrians) and start treating car drivers the way we treat wheel chair users today.

I agree, to prove your point it could be set up as one of the temporary/summer covid road closures.

That's awesome. CivicWorks designed Courtyard 33, RNDSQR Block, Riverwalk, and other cool stuff, so we can probably expect good designs out of those two parcels.

Two land use redesignation's across from Westbrook LRT

Between these two the entire block across from Westbrook on 33rd Street will be mixed use. Too bad the LRT station is still in a sea of grass and parking lots.
Thank god, those houses are depressing

Two land use redesignation's across from Westbrook LRT

Between these two the entire block across from Westbrook on 33rd Street will be mixed use. Too bad the LRT station is still in a sea of grass and parking lots.
This is great news. Let's hope that it helps generate interest for development on the west side of 33rd....assuming Uptown at Westbrook is dead

It's unfortunate that highly develop-able land sits empty while existing houses are torn down to build new. I know the houses are falling apart, but that's more related to the owners leaving them knowing they'll be replaced.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still happy to see the density boost along 33rd, and it's a win in many ways. Just a shame that the other nearby empty parcels aren't getting developed.

Last edited:
This is great news. Let's hope that it helps generate interest for development on the west side of 33rd....assuming Uptown at Westbrook is dead

It's unfortunate that highly develop-able land sits empty while existing houses are torn down to build new. I know the houses are falling apart, but that's more related to the owners leaving them knowing they'll be replaced.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still happy to see the density boost along 33rd, and it's a win in many ways. Just a shame that the other nearby empty parcels aren't getting developed.
Eventually Matco will take the write down and either sell or move forward with a less ambitious proposal for the TOD site. My word, what a failure for the city.

Uptown isn't dead, i know of people currently working on it. Plans just keep changing due to market challenges/changes

Has Matco actually built anything in the city recently? I know they're sitting on the Westbrook lands as well as the Inglewood brewery lands. Do they actually build stuff or just like to talk about building stuff?
Mostly talk. Last project that I recall they did was 1912 Cross (SoBow) which they had units for sale for the longest time.

Confirmation in this Herald article that the new court building is going to be constructed immediately north of the historic court building... hopefully with a new design but I'm not holding my breath with this government.

A development permit has been submitted for the former Jacques Lodge land, next to Shaganappi LRT Station:

Brookfield bought this parcel off of Silvera, and the planning, land use and engagement was done by Ground Cubed planning, who have an engagement website up for this project;
View attachment 295194
The land use and outline plan for this one go to CPC next week. The report is here:
Outline Plan:https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=155562
1615598759477.png

And the development permit, for just the townhomes for now (DC 2 site, pink in the map above):
1615598826781.png

1615598859185.png

1615598881165.png

1615598902944.png

Back