News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

I hope they don't build anything, we have way too many empty buildings currently.
Did you forget what site you're on??!!! 🤣

The entire world is coming to the end of the Pandemic and approaching a boom. Oil is now set to near or surpass $100 a barrel once more. Also, I'm sure you know it takes a couple years from construction to occupancy. Now's the time to start building or at least planning.

If you can convince financiers to pour $10 billion bucks into a major oil sands capital expansion project which would require back offices in Calgary like we used to have, well, hats off to you. Maybe we'll get a mini shale play bump, but otherwise, steady as they go, or contraction.

If you can convince financiers to pour $10 billion bucks into a major oil sands capital expansion project which would require back offices in Calgary like we used to have, well, hats off to you. Maybe we'll get a mini shale play bump, but otherwise, steady as they go, or contraction.
I agree. We should not get ahead of ourselves. It would be unwise to make investments in another major oilsands project as much as Alberta could use it. IF oil flirts at $100/barrel again it will be brief. All it would need to collapse again is for OPEC to ramp up production.

We will never see a boom like we did with the last 2, Oil companies are very efficient machines these days and won't be raining money on the construction sector. If Rogers / Shaw want some fancy space, then they better start with an empty highrise.

We will never see a boom like we did with the last 2, Oil companies are very efficient machines these days and won't be raining money on the construction sector. If Rogers / Shaw want some fancy space, then they better start with an empty highrise.
Rogers isn't known for going full on Class A, nor developing its own projects. Decidedly Class B-ish - and at least for sites where they are the primary or only office tenant they've been buyers, not renters. They bought their headquarters from a bankrupt insurance company, and their main back office in the GTA from Nortel.

They could always bring back this (which was also HP at some point iirc?)
1615994311881.png

Rogers isn't known for going full on Class A, nor developing its own projects. Decidedly Class B-ish - and at least for sites where they are the primary or only office tenant they've been buyers, not renters. They bought their headquarters from a bankrupt insurance company, and their main back office in the GTA from Nortel.

They could always bring back this (which was also HP at some point iirc?)
View attachment 306274
I believe HP was in the former Norcen tower. I recall that building being Sun Oil, and then Suncor , before having no logo for a while, and then Rogers.

I see a lot of comments like this, I bet people were saying the same things during previous downturns.

I see a lot of comments like this, I bet people were saying the same things during previous downturns.
Past downturns were mostly cyclical, this one is structural, where a one-off shift changes the playing field completely from the existing paradigm. We had a structural shift with the adoption of multi-stage fracking, first in gas, then oil. We are likely on the cusp of another with the deep decline in renewable installation and battery prices. There will likely be short boomlets - where you can make a lot of money if you've timed your peak production of your tiny firm with peak prices. But is a bank going to bet on a project being profitable from just the boomlets over a 20 year payoff period? And who is going to back that tiny firm to expand when it might have been 4, 5 years from the last peak profit time, and it is not predictable when it will come.

anyways - sorry for the derail - we could move these to the economy thread unless it would undermine the thread flow here

Back