News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

I like the proposal, but part of me questions whether there's demand for a project like this in the short term. With Trinity Hills and Greenwich just down the road I have a hard time imaging there's sufficient demand. Especially for the retail aspect
Also redevelopment of the former Sunnyside Greenhouse:

And Bingham Crossing/Harmony:

Apparently the city is looking to do some public realm improvements in Hillhurst/Sunnyside and Kensington areas. It will be broken into three areas. Hillhurst/Sunnyside, Kensington, and West Hillhurst. Engagement has just begun and info is here: https://engage.calgary.ca/kensingtonarea

It appears to be a whole variety of disconnected potential options, that only some items will make the cut for the budget. At first glance, nothing looks too necessary for them to be spending money on. They just redid (poorly) all the sidewalks a couple years ago, missing the two of the most important pedestrian spots. The two NW corners of Kensington road, and Memorial Drive. Fix those.

If you select Hillhurst/Sunnyside, there's a points voting system for preferred items for the budget to go towards. I won't type out the description of each item, but I live in the area and had a hard time spending the full 12 points.
1. Traffic calming initiatives.
2. 12th Street Upgrade
3. Gladstone to one-way & park benches/picnic tables
4. Urban tree planting
5. Sidewalk ramp improvements
6. Riley Park year round programming
7. Community Association programming
8. Community garden improvements
9. Riley Park Restaurant and Patio
10. Urban Murals

Riley Park Restaurant would be nice. Improvements to Kensington Plaza would be welcomed. The rest seems completely unnecessary, and spending money for the sake of spending money. Who decided much of this was needed to make a possibility list?

Apparently the city is looking to do some public realm improvements in Hillhurst/Sunnyside and Kensington areas. It will be broken into three areas. Hillhurst/Sunnyside, Kensington, and West Hillhurst. Engagement has just begun and info is here: https://engage.calgary.ca/kensingtonarea

It appears to be a whole variety of disconnected potential options, that only some items will make the cut for the budget. At first glance, nothing looks too necessary for them to be spending money on. They just redid (poorly) all the sidewalks a couple years ago, missing the two of the most important pedestrian spots. The two NW corners of Kensington road, and Memorial Drive. Fix those.

If you select Hillhurst/Sunnyside, there's a points voting system for preferred items for the budget to go towards. I won't type out the description of each item, but I live in the area and had a hard time spending the full 12 points.
1. Traffic calming initiatives.
2. 12th Street Upgrade
3. Gladstone to one-way & park benches/picnic tables
4. Urban tree planting
5. Sidewalk ramp improvements
6. Riley Park year round programming
7. Community Association programming
8. Community garden improvements
9. Riley Park Restaurant and Patio
10. Urban Murals

Riley Park Restaurant would be nice. Improvements to Kensington Plaza would be welcomed. The rest seems completely unnecessary, and spending money for the sake of spending money. Who decided much of this was needed to make a possibility list?
Thanks for posting, I couldn't find it on the site but I seem to remember from social media when this was first discussed that there is a pretty small budget for all this stuff, so the "cut-off" might be fairly high on the list once ranked. The biggest one for me is the 3rd avenue connection to the LRT. The sidewalk on the southside is stupidly narrow, especially when the shops have their stuff out. It could be an awesome space given all the constant activity and development in the area, but it's pretty ugly, cluttered and unremarkable.

Anyone have a clue what 1 block of road narrowing, sidewalk expansion and tree planting costs? I'd put most of the money right here and the other half split between 14 Street and 19th Street sidewalk width expansions.

1614876881899.png

Thanks for posting, I couldn't find it on the site but I seem to remember from social media when this was first discussed that there is a pretty small budget for all this stuff, so the "cut-off" might be fairly high on the list once ranked. The biggest one for me is the 3rd avenue connection to the LRT. The sidewalk on the southside is stupidly narrow, especially when the shops have their stuff out. It could be an awesome space given all the constant activity and development in the area, but it's pretty ugly, cluttered and unremarkable.

Anyone have a clue what 1 block of road narrowing, sidewalk expansion and tree planting costs? I'd put most of the money right here and the other half split between 14 Street and 19th Street sidewalk width expansions.

View attachment 303348

Seems reasonable to me for that block to be one way eastbound

View attachment 303348
Best street/block in the city to make a woonerf imo. Repave the street in a pattern of some sort, to help make it obvious and give those store fronts all the space they need. Add some bollards at the end with a change to the pedestrian and cycling LRT crossing (let's see how Stampede Stn does with the arm crossing). This would really connect Sunnyside and Hillhurst in a meaningful way I think. I would like to see this whole stretch get one cohesive design with a major pedestrian focus.

kensington.jpg

"Remix" looks great, sign me up
10 foot sidewalk? What is this Paris or something?!

This type of improvement street improvement is not flashy but is probably the single best thing for the street and the area. A huge opportunity to fix several classic parking pole > wheel chair accessibility decisions as my shoddy math illustrated below.

Dreaming bigger and this whole street could go full woonerf/shared space/transit village plaza to everyone's benefit. 3rd Ave NW currently has a minimal role in traffic circulation and parking, and it might have on the highest daily pedestrians/driver ratios on any single block in the city outside of a few city centre exceptions.

We don't have to get rid of vehicles entirely, just rebalance the street to what it's most used for current (pedestrians) and start treating car drivers the way we treat wheel chair users today.

1614971491363.png

Last edited:
A couple of other sites along 19th Street NW have come in for land use redesignations:
This first one is the 3 houses south of the two Eagle Crest Construction projects, just south of 2nd Avenue, seen here:

This second one is to the north of 2nd Avenue, but does not include the corner lot. Two houses, seen here:

This second one is to the north of 2nd Avenue, but does not include the corner lot. Two houses, seen here:
I imagine whoever owns the corner lot isn't going to be thrilled by that application. They'll be sandwiched between two developments to the north and south.

Also it'll be a little sad to see some of those homes on 19th Street get torn down. Some of the few really old houses left in the area are right on 19th.

But at the end of the day I do like the way 19th is evolving.

Back