News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Some pictures and more info on the Glenbow expansion.

Our redesigned building will feature:
  • An accessible open-air lobby and gathering spaces for people to congregate and connect
  • A restaurant and enhanced retail shop offering a one-of-a-kind cultural entertainment experience to both Glenbow guests and the public
  • Innovative gallery spaces designed to accommodate large-scale exhibitions and installations
  • Flexible education spaces that facilitate immersive learning experiences and hands-on access to the collection
  • New technology providing more ways to engage and interact with exhibitions and items in our collection
  • A financially and environmentally sustainable design guided by industry best practices and architectural standards

1b_exteriorNEnight3-768x559.jpg

1a_exteriorNE_crop3-1400x479.jpg

Street-view-building-usage-page-1400x754.jpg

1. A reimagined Glenbow brings art to the city and the city to art. Expressive form and visible programming transform the existing, inward-looking building into a revitalized cultural landmark and a critical wayfinding link, connecting downtown Calgary’s most exciting cultural spaces, from Contemporary Calgary in the west to Arts Commons, the New Central Library and the National Music Centre to the east.

2. Visitors are greeted by a new double height entrance on the corner of 1st Street SE & Stephen Avenue, opening the museum to Olympic Plaza, and framing guests’ arrival into Calgary’s cultural heart.

3. A revitalized retail space and new at-grade café are just two of the key amenities within the museum’s open public space accessible from Stephen Avenue.

4. Every corner of the building is activated. An active interior event space located at 1st Street SE and 9th Avenue animates the intersection and can easily accommodate event specific transformations of 9th Avenue, such as parades or street festivals.

5. A re-imagined loading zone dramatically improves the at-grade frontage along 1st Street SE.

6. The first two floors offer transparency into and out of the building. Special galleries push up against the facade, connecting educational, innovative and creative programming with the public, ensuring there is always something to discover as you walk by the new Glenbow.

https://www.glenbow.org/join-give/capital-campaign/

My thoughts are it is a bit underwhelming given the high standard that has been set by the new central library and the re-clad of the engineering building at the UofC but it will still be a large improvement over the status quo.

I agree that it's pretty underwhelming. However, some upgrades to just the street level will do wonders to extend the vibrancy of Stephen Avenue one additional block. Walking by the building, you wouldn't even know this was Calgary's premier museum.

I don't know if it's the monolithic facade, the shadow it casts, or some combination of things, but the Glenbow creates a very noticeable dead zone along Stephen ave. It's quite striking how desolate it feels once you pass under that bridge. I really hope this renovation is able to fix that issue. I also hope they get rid of the curb cut along 1 St SE as well, and some of the loading docks. Why the hell does an art museum need five loading docks (3 of which are designed to accommodate full-sized tractor trailers?)

Depending on materials this might come out looking above average. If nothing else, I’m happy it is getting a reno and should improve dramatically from its current look. This might be the ugliest building currently in the downtown. Anything to improve it, especially in this economy, is a huge win.

I don't know if it's the monolithic facade, the shadow it casts, or some combination of things, but the Glenbow creates a very noticeable dead zone along Stephen ave. It's quite striking how desolate it feels once you pass under that bridge. I really hope this renovation is able to fix that issue. I also hope they get rid of the curb cut along 1 St SE as well, and some of the loading docks. Why the hell does an art museum need five loading docks (3 of which are designed to accommodate full-sized tractor trailers?)
My own opinion is it's the monolithic wall, with lack of windows. It's typical of museums to cut down on windows, but having more glass and a more broken up wall would make a big difference. That and the lack of any real retail are the two main reasons I think. Having the large double height glass at the base will make a difference...if they could throw in a small cafe like the one in the Library and a gift shop in there to make it look more inviting, that would help also.

Unfortunately the monolithic feeling is pretty common with these types of museum renos of buildings that are already packed into denser areas. It's not like MOMA is much better from the street either. As long as street-level and actual museum-experience itself is improved on, it should make a big difference....but I don't expect this to be getting the accolades of the Central Library.

For the first time in years I went to the Glenbow the week before Covid shut down (saw a great Vivian Maier exhibit!) and I actually think they did a pretty nice job with what they had to work with. Hopefully this gives them the energy boost they need to elevate it to the next tier. For the longest time the Glenbow has felt like the museum that everyone forgot about.

I don't think we have a thread for the latest Sarina Homes land use application on 33rd Avenue, on the west end of the block that Coco is built on:
Anyway, the land use application is going to CPC next week:
The applicant led engagement has a picture of a sign on the property, that contains a rendering of the proposed development (last page):
1598654179692.png

Still haven't seen a good set of renderings for it yet.
Does anyone know more about the SOLA project coming up soon in Kensington NW? I'm hearing so many great things about this cool project, can't wait to purchase a condo here, www.solacalgary.com Love all the tech focus on this project!

Back