News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Nice thing is the building wouldn't cast shadows on much other than the lawn bowling club, and it's not used in the winter.

The height on Avli being 2m taller than the ARP is a battle I remember hearing about lol. 12 Storeys would be a huge fight with the CA, but with a design like this, I hope they don't manage to stop it. What ever happened with that 20 storey tower by the truck stop in Inglewood?
The Grid application was the 16 storey proposal across from the Truck Stop (lowered down from 20). It went to the Regular Public Hearing of Council on December 10th, 2018. Minutes here, item 5.1.7:
From the minutes:
  • Moved byCouncillor Carra
    Seconded byCouncillor Davison
    That with respect to Report CPC218-1179, the following be approved, after amendment:

That Calgary Planning Commission recommend that Council:
    1. Adopt, by Bylaw, the proposed redesignation of 0.28 hectares ± (0.68 acres ±) located at 740 - 19 Street SE (Plan 17JK, Block X) from Commercial Corridor 3 f2.8h12 (C-COR3 f2.8h12) District to DC Direct Control District to accommodate a mixed-use development, with guidelines (Attachment 2);
    2. Give first reading to the proposed Bylaw 299D2018;
    3. Withhold second and third reading until the outcome of discussions on potential amendments and/or exemptions to the Calgary International Airport Vicinity Protection Area Regulation have been determined by The City of Calgary, the Province of Alberta and Calgary’s Airport Authority; and
    4. Authorize Administration, once the above discussions in recommendation 4 have been completed, to make an application to the Minister of Municipal Affairs for an amendment to the Calgary International Airport Vicinity Protection Area (AVPA) Regulation, if applicable. The application would be made after receiving a development permit and conducting all necessary public consultation in accordance with the requirements of the AVPA Regulation, to allow for residential development and to report back through the Intergovernmental Affairs Committee no later than 2019 January.

Against: Councillor Farkas and Councillor Jones
    MOTION CARRIED

• That Bylaw 299D2018 be introduced and read a first time.
    Against: Councillor Farkas and Councillor Jones
    MOTION CARRIED

• Moved byCouncillor Davison
    Seconded byCouncillor Carra
    That with Respect to Report CPC2018-1179, the following Motion Arising be adopted:
    That Council direct Administration, as part of its analysis of this Development Permit on this land to consider the transportation discussion from today and provide security that 7th Avenue will remain closed for through traffic to 19th Street.
    MOTION CARRIED
So, given 1st reading, 2nd and 3rd withheld until the AVPA was sorted out. Well, those were sorted, but I don't think the outcome would allow The Grid to proceed as envisioned:

Per this Global article though, more work is being done and engagement should be taking place soon, before projects like The Grid can be considered acceptable:

i was by there the other day, its absurd they wont allow the height if that is the issue. theres nothing to protect. its blackfoot trail.

Looking a bit closer at the pic, the building to the left of the rendered building, looks like the old CIBC building. This could very well be for that Inglewood location. If that's the case, then holy crap!

View attachment 216112
I'm curious if they're planning on demolishing 1232 9th ave SE then, since it's right beside the old CIBC building and doesn't seem to be anywhere in the rendering or the scale model they made. The building's not really anything special so I doubt it'll be missed but I'm curious anyways.
Inglewood building beside CIBC.PNG

Hungerford in Inglewood: 907-915 9th Ave SE; 138 units

Looks like they are feeling bullish about this project. ITC have issued a construction tender though it does not appear that a DP application has been approved.

That sounds huge for Inglewood, that's enough units for a 15 to 17 storey building (assuming 8 to 9 units per floor). Do we know anything about this one yet?

? ?????

That is unreal. Didn't realize we were getting a development at the Inglewood gateway any time soon. This neighbourhood is about to transform over the next decade. Like a serious 180. Wow.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/kensington-inglewood-business-vacancy-1.5374099 not the most positive article but it does mention Inglewood thriving compared to Kensington and how there may even be a hotel proposal for the area.

The City needs to urgently stop urban sprawl and focus on its inner city communities more. There is something very depressing about retail, public spaces and infrastructure declining near the core of a city all while the bland suburbs contine to grow. Eventually this form of urban development implodes on itself. I still think many of Calgarys current tax issues and infrastructure issues would be resolved had the city took a stronger initiative to build a denser city 10 years ago.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/kensington-inglewood-business-vacancy-1.5374099 not the most positive article but it does mention Inglewood thriving compared to Kensington and how there may even be a hotel proposal for the area.

The City needs to urgently stop urban sprawl and focus on its inner city communities more. There is something very depressing about retail, public spaces and infrastructure declining near the core of a city all while the bland suburbs contine to grow. Eventually this form of urban development implodes on itself. I still think many of Calgarys current tax issues and infrastructure issues would be resolved had the city took a stronger initiative to build a denser city 10 years ago.
I think why Inglewood 9 Ave would thrive, and Kensington Road & 10 St would fall apart in a recession is that smaller individuals and groups own most of the storefronts in Inglewood and are more incentivized by having full occupancy/rent roll, that is why when vacancies happen in the Burns Block, etc. they are filled in short order. These are the kind of landlords that take risks and build communities.

Whereas larger landlords and REITs that own most of the buildings in Kensington are too worried about the value of the building (ie. achieve the highest lease rate possible) that they will let it sit vacant forever waiting for a bank or similar tenant to come along and pay them $40/psf base rent. This way they don't devalue the building only to appease shareholders and make the books look good, as it is just one 'currently struggling asset' in a larger portfolio and they frankly don't care and the structure of these companies is to work this way. Sure shows in a recession where the large retail landlords own buildings, as those are the places with persistent and disruptive vacancy.

The article doesn't talk about "Kensington Road & 10 St"; merely - and very specifically - two blocks of Kensington Road. Last time I was there, 10th St was very close to full, if not full (redeveloping buildings aside). If you look at the larger Kensington area, six or eight closed businesses isn't a ton, especially if two of them are because the owners are in their 70s. The BIA has 270 businesses, there are 6 closed businesses in this story and 5 about to open. That sounds more like natural turnover than any sort of crisis; if there are more closed a year from now, that would be different. But "Retail's hard" isn't much of a news story. On the other hand, I was in Inglewood last weekend, and it's vibrant as hell.

Back