News   Jan 24, 2020
 46     0 
News   Jan 24, 2020
 25     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

MichaelS

Member Bio
Reaction score
Looks like Humpy Hollow Park (that's it's real name) is getting a reno.

View attachment 219141View attachment 219142
Nice to see a refresh, but disappointed to see they are removing the children's play structure. The existing one on site looks pretty good, and little kids would have more fun with that than a playful hill with a rubberized surface. I guess the City views this area as having more dog owners than families for the foreseeable future. Fair enough, but it doesn't encourage more families downtown.

Also, the water feature next to the urban dog park is designed as one big drinking bowl for dogs, right? Because, that is probably what it will be used for.....

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Nice to see a refresh, but disappointed to see they are removing the children's play structure. The existing one on site looks pretty good, and little kids would have more fun with that than a playful hill with a rubberized surface. I guess the City views this area as having more dog owners than families for the foreseeable future. Fair enough, but it doesn't encourage more families downtown.

Also, the water feature next to the urban dog park is designed as one big drinking bowl for dogs, right? Because, that is probably what it will be used for.....
Sounds like the playground may end up staying yet, which would be nice.

Thom Mahler @thomcal
Dec 4
The redesign will include consideration of how children and families will use the space. There will be more public engagement to gather input and ideas so stay tuned!

Silence&Motion

Member Bio
Reaction score
The problem with playgrounds is that they require having fences built around them. One of the great benefits of this redesign is that it will remove that unsightly chain-link fence and create an open public space that people can easily cut through while walking between 17 Ave and Centre St. The ease with which people can move through the park will help keep it lively and welcoming.

Mountain Man

Member Bio
Reaction score
The other problem with playgrounds is that they are almost never used. Aside from the one by Union Square, none that aren't part of a school ever have kids playing there.

haltcatchfire

Member Bio
Reaction score
The other problem with playgrounds is that they are almost never used. Aside from the one by Union Square, none that aren't part of a school ever have kids playing there.
Do you have kids? Every time we took our son to the Haultain, Thompson Park, East Village, St. Patrick’s Island and Riley Park ones this past summer they were all packed.

JonnyCanuck

Member Bio
Reaction score
Sounds like it just affects their commercial portfolio right now...
A few of the buildings are mixed use. Cash flow is cash flow. How they can separate not paying their creditors (banks) on the commercial properties, but continuing to spend on construction of new residential buildings, is beyond my comprehension.

Chowda7

Member Bio
Reaction score
A few of the buildings are mixed use. Cash flow is cash flow. How they can separate not paying their creditors (banks) on the commercial properties, but continuing to spend on construction of new residential buildings, is beyond my comprehension.
Before I moved to industry I worked in public audit. Typically when a company goes into CCAA they are looking to sell the properties they have declared to keep afloat without creditors seizing the proceeds. During this process they come up with an implementation plan that creditors have to agree and sign off on as they likely take a hair cut on the balance owed

zagox

Member Bio
Reaction score
It sounds like the debt was issued and secured by a subsidiary that only has an interest in and recourse to the operating portfolio. The new construction buildings likely have separate construction financing under a separate subsidiary. Hopefully this is the case and they have not cross-collateralized, so the development arm can continue construction relatively unaffected.