News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 883     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

AccUnit

Member Bio
Reaction score
The S2 Architecture one at 716 - 58th Avenue is by Brava Development Corp, called Chinook Landing:
View attachment 215937

Interesting project. That spot near Chinook is certainly under utilized, however this project is going to be huge. Average size of 613 sqft is interesting, likely will be a mix of mostly one beds.

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm counting about 12 storeys in that render that's on the ground. That would be groundbreaking for that area, and really for the city to have that kind of exceptional architecture outside of the core, yet highly visible. Almost like a monument to "this is possible."

MichaelS

Member Bio
Reaction score
I wonder how hard the community would fight that. What is the maximum height in Inglewood?
Well, we can get a bit of a preview at the public hearing on December 16th, when Hungerford's 9th Avenue project goes forward. Based on what has been written in the CA's newsletter about other developments, their past reaction to The Grid, and recent speakers at a committee meeting about the Developed Areas Guidebook (and referencing the proposed Historic East ARP), I don't anticipate they will look upon this scale of development favourably. Maybe an outstanding design will help sway them.

In terms of what is the maximum height? Well, that is a bit influx right now with the draft ARP not being adopted yet. The currently valid ARP from 1993 has a height limit of 20m I believe (this is what caused much issue with Avli if I recall, which proposed a 22m height). I'd provide a link, but the City's website makes you download it to your harddrive.

The draft ARP calls for greater density and heights in some areas, but is not really well received by both Inglewood or Ramsay CAs.

Mountain Man

Member Bio
Reaction score
The height on Avli being 2m taller than the ARP is a battle I remember hearing about lol. 12 Storeys would be a huge fight with the CA, but with a design like this, I hope they don't manage to stop it. What ever happened with that 20 storey tower by the truck stop in Inglewood?

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Nice thing is the building wouldn't cast shadows on much other than the lawn bowling club, and it's not used in the winter.

MichaelS

Member Bio
Reaction score
The height on Avli being 2m taller than the ARP is a battle I remember hearing about lol. 12 Storeys would be a huge fight with the CA, but with a design like this, I hope they don't manage to stop it. What ever happened with that 20 storey tower by the truck stop in Inglewood?
The Grid application was the 16 storey proposal across from the Truck Stop (lowered down from 20). It went to the Regular Public Hearing of Council on December 10th, 2018. Minutes here, item 5.1.7:
From the minutes:
  • Moved byCouncillor Carra
    Seconded byCouncillor Davison
    That with respect to Report CPC218-1179, the following be approved, after amendment:

That Calgary Planning Commission recommend that Council:
    1. Adopt, by Bylaw, the proposed redesignation of 0.28 hectares ± (0.68 acres ±) located at 740 - 19 Street SE (Plan 17JK, Block X) from Commercial Corridor 3 f2.8h12 (C-COR3 f2.8h12) District to DC Direct Control District to accommodate a mixed-use development, with guidelines (Attachment 2);
    2. Give first reading to the proposed Bylaw 299D2018;
    3. Withhold second and third reading until the outcome of discussions on potential amendments and/or exemptions to the Calgary International Airport Vicinity Protection Area Regulation have been determined by The City of Calgary, the Province of Alberta and Calgary’s Airport Authority; and
    4. Authorize Administration, once the above discussions in recommendation 4 have been completed, to make an application to the Minister of Municipal Affairs for an amendment to the Calgary International Airport Vicinity Protection Area (AVPA) Regulation, if applicable. The application would be made after receiving a development permit and conducting all necessary public consultation in accordance with the requirements of the AVPA Regulation, to allow for residential development and to report back through the Intergovernmental Affairs Committee no later than 2019 January.

Against: Councillor Farkas and Councillor Jones
    MOTION CARRIED

• That Bylaw 299D2018 be introduced and read a first time.
    Against: Councillor Farkas and Councillor Jones
    MOTION CARRIED

• Moved byCouncillor Davison
    Seconded byCouncillor Carra
    That with Respect to Report CPC2018-1179, the following Motion Arising be adopted:
    That Council direct Administration, as part of its analysis of this Development Permit on this land to consider the transportation discussion from today and provide security that 7th Avenue will remain closed for through traffic to 19th Street.
    MOTION CARRIED
So, given 1st reading, 2nd and 3rd withheld until the AVPA was sorted out. Well, those were sorted, but I don't think the outcome would allow The Grid to proceed as envisioned:

Per this Global article though, more work is being done and engagement should be taking place soon, before projects like The Grid can be considered acceptable:

Member Bio
Reaction score
i was by there the other day, its absurd they wont allow the height if that is the issue. theres nothing to protect. its blackfoot trail.