News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

There's something under construction on the east side of 14th street at about 2nd or 3rd ave. Not a large site, but a construction site nonetheless. Anyone know what they are building there?.
Homespace Society is building a project in Hillhurst. Transitional housing:

I'd like a building like this in one of those empty lots along the CP tracks, like just west of Marriott Residence Inn. I could easily live with the faux historic architecture.
View attachment 215882

I don't know if anybody has seen the renders yet for the new Farmers Market in Greenwich up by Bowfort Rd/Hwy1 area that is undergoing a major redevelopment.
Infact I believe ground has broken to start construction of the new market set to be an anchor piece in that community. Designed by Stantec and was unanimously approved by council during its CPC hearing.
It will have an event space up on the mezzanine level and garage door spillout area for dining and chill shown in the top rendering. Design height for the highest part of the market which is the tower is about 25m.

The S2 Architecture one at 716 - 58th Avenue is by Brava Development Corp, called Chinook Landing:
View attachment 215937

Interesting project. That spot near Chinook is certainly under utilized, however this project is going to be huge. Average size of 613 sqft is interesting, likely will be a mix of mostly one beds.

I'm counting about 12 storeys in that render that's on the ground. That would be groundbreaking for that area, and really for the city to have that kind of exceptional architecture outside of the core, yet highly visible. Almost like a monument to "this is possible."

I wonder how hard the community would fight that. What is the maximum height in Inglewood?
Well, we can get a bit of a preview at the public hearing on December 16th, when Hungerford's 9th Avenue project goes forward. Based on what has been written in the CA's newsletter about other developments, their past reaction to The Grid, and recent speakers at a committee meeting about the Developed Areas Guidebook (and referencing the proposed Historic East ARP), I don't anticipate they will look upon this scale of development favourably. Maybe an outstanding design will help sway them.

In terms of what is the maximum height? Well, that is a bit influx right now with the draft ARP not being adopted yet. The currently valid ARP from 1993 has a height limit of 20m I believe (this is what caused much issue with Avli if I recall, which proposed a 22m height). I'd provide a link, but the City's website makes you download it to your harddrive.

The draft ARP calls for greater density and heights in some areas, but is not really well received by both Inglewood or Ramsay CAs.

The height on Avli being 2m taller than the ARP is a battle I remember hearing about lol. 12 Storeys would be a huge fight with the CA, but with a design like this, I hope they don't manage to stop it. What ever happened with that 20 storey tower by the truck stop in Inglewood?

Back