News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

I'm guessing that these are still preliminary renderings for Contemporary Calgary? I don't remember KPMB releasing anything and I tried to find any additional renderings but didn't have much luck. I would imagine we would get a more official reveal of the renderings later on?
I believe so. Once the funding gets secured, or closer, I imagine the design will either change or be refined.

They actually have an exhibit on right now that has renderings and even a model of the planned work. As well as a take on brutalist architecture, which I'm sure some here would be interested in. They're open Thursdays until 9 PM and Sunday afternoons; the exhibit is in the "Ring Gallery", the area around the planetarium dome.

Broadly, the plan if I recall correctly is as follows:
  • Currently showing stuff in the Ring Gallery and Grotto, the areas around the old planetarium dome, A.
  • They're finishing renovations to the north addition that was at one point the Children's Museum, and this will be a new short-term gallery so they can start putting on more shows, B.
  • Then, they can finish renovating the rest of the planetarium C.
  • The big add on is an entirely new 10K sq ft gallery along Bow Trail, sort of in the area marked D. (I can't remember exactly, but I think it might also involve area B as well.) This is the "Class A" space that allows the museum to host touring shows and the like, which I gather is important for building revenue and interest (and gives Calgarians a chance to see important works).
  • And then there's a renovation of the entry, area E, which will eventually involve entering on the second floor, as well as a cafe and more public-facing space, which would be great along 11th right at the LRT station. This is the rendering shown above.
Obviously, the later stages are more notional and open to change, but this cash infusion sounds like enough to do all of it.

Capture.PNG

I'm really excited about the art gallery completion and expansion. I've lived in Calgary for 8 years and not having a proper art gallery is my biggest beef with the city. This is another piece of the urban fabric that we needed to fill and I like that there is an old building being repurposed, the location, and the expansion to capture travelling shows.

The news about Contemporary Calgary makes me want Mewata as some sort of museum so badly, would be an awesome cultural area for the city.

Looks like the Stadium Shopping Centre development is finally moving forward...

"I would say that the economy in Calgary has been a bit of a challenge as well, but we believe we have a great location and a great site to build something even in a down market. So our intention is to just move forward regardless but with a bit of a different overall scale of the project," said Mike Bescia, vice president and partner of Western Securities.
Bescia says the company plans to apply for a building permit later this year that would allow for construction of the medical office building, a residential tower, retail shops and some other infrastructure.
He says the company is committed to the entire project, just not all at once.
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5271078?__twitter_impression=true

Looks like the Stadium Shopping Centre development is finally moving forward...

Great to see this project going ahead finally. I know they talk about it being a tough market, but I imagine it will fill up nicely due to its proximity to both the hospital and University. I hope the Vietnamese restaurant reopens in the new building, its one of my favourites in the area.

I like the blurb in the article about how University Heights residents were initially against this project, but have since come around once they realized all the new services that will come with the completion of this project.

Back