News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

I stopped into the show centre for The Theodore on the weekend. They have some 3 bedroom units in the building starting at ~$770,000, starting units down around $276,000 with some larger patio spaces. Layouts are nice. Take it with the HUGE grain of salt but the salesperson there said 3 years from now until occupancy. There were a few units marked as sold, but they are also holding a lot of the upper units until later on.

$276K for any sized unit in that location seems like a great deal. Across the street from a grocery store, a block from a beautiful park, a block an LRT station, and a short walk from downtown and the beautiful river pathway system.

Other than 8th Ave itself, the sidewalks and the lighting... what else can the city impact? The exteriors and facades of the buildings themselves probably won't change unless the property owners buy into some new theme or concept. Many of the buildings between Centre St. & 3rd St. SW are heritage and most people would not want to see them change from their original form. On the other hand, there are many buildings that are stark, cold or provide little or no street interface. It is unfortunate that there was not a vision for 8th Ave decades ago before all the new development started.

Would this involve a revamp to Olympic Plaza too? I feel like this would go hand-in-hand
There is already a plan in place for a re-do of Olympic Plaza that incorporates additional condo/retail development and Arts Commons.

Wow .. with the expansion of BMO, a new event centre, a re-do of Olympic Plaza, 8th Ave make-over plus the Green Line .... that is some big time capital expenditure in the core over the next several years.

No capital funding has been allocated to 8th Avenue. This is just $500k to develop a concept, with then determining the cost estimate and making the capital funding ask. It would be great to see if funded, but that is a decision for a future council.

I have mixed feelings on the Stephen Ave thing. Improvements are always nice, but maybe the money is better spent on 8th street or 10th ave? or other streets somewhere. Stephen Ave though not perfect is already humming along.

Agree about 8th street improvements being a higher priority. A revamped 8th street would do much more for the city than updates to Stephen Ave. Maybe someone can whiteout "avenue" and put "street".

I also worry that with change for the sake of change we could just end up with a sea of random rectangle dual grey tone broomed concrete.

Back