News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Has anything been posted about this development before?

"Local developer Jemm Properties and Zeidler Partnership Architects are in the pre-application phase of transforming the under-utilized site at 950 McPherson Square NE — near the CTrain’s Bridgelan/Memorial Station — into a mixed-use redevelopment with a height of up to 164 ft."

https://dailyhive.com/calgary/950-mcpherson-square-ne-calgary

Yeah I believe it has its own thread. Though it's good to see that it's moving forward.

A few pics of the new lighting in the 4th street underpass.

00-2019 May 08 369a.jpg

00-2019 May 08 382-2.jpg

00-2019 May 08 391-2a.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah man. I know some people are disappointed with how 8th turned out, but I love it. Any time I point out to people that the ribbon is showing historic news headlines they're like awe struck. Plus the lighting on it is amazing. The only one I'd say isn't great is 1st SW, it is nice, but easily damageable and doesn't seem to be aging well. Plus they took away half a foot of pedestrian space, just feels very small in there. I look forward to see what they have planned for the Macleod underpasses.

Any time I point out to people that the ribbon is showing historic news headlines they're like awe struck.

Huh, that seemed obvious. What impressed me was the first time I noticed they're seasonal historic news headlines; they're from roughly the same point in the year, so right now you'll see stories about a cricket match or about spring planting, and in December it's about cold snaps and freezing and Christmas.

The 4th street lighting is impressive; it reacts to pedestrians -- but mirrored. So if you walk northbound on the west sidewalk, you'll see a pattern of lights coming southbound on the east sidewalk, matching your pace. There's some white pixels in the middle where you are, especially visible if you stop to take a picture...

The City has released their main streets plans for 33 and 34th in Marda Loop, haven't really read much of it yet though...
https://engage.calgary.ca/33Ave
Looks good. I haven't read through it thoroughly, but there are a few things that I like so far.
- 21 st Street set up as event square designed to have temporary closures.
- A consistent 2.5m sidewalk and 2.15m flex zone along 33rd/34th ave, all the way to 14th. The Flex zones can be used to create small patio spaces like the one at 22nd Street.
- Well marked pedestrian crossings along 33rd/34th with traffic calming. I didn't notice if there any new pedestrian crossing lights or not. 33rd could use a couple more.

I also haven't read through it thoroughly but I did see a statement along the lines of "parking is not considered to be an issue," which made me jump for joy. I was there at the consultations when grumpy old men were getting up into the faces of city staff ranting about the lack of parking. As the line goes: public streets are not your free, personal car storage.

I also haven't read through it thoroughly but I did see a statement along the lines of "parking is not considered to be an issue," which made me jump for joy. I was there at the consultations when grumpy old men were getting up into the faces of city staff ranting about the lack of parking. As the line goes: public streets are not your free, personal car storage.
People, especially older generation have a hard time understanding that one.

Back