News   Apr 03, 2020
 5.5K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 4.3K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

While I generally agree. It sounds like most of the new funding is coming from the Federal Government, so sorta free money for the city to pump into the program. Looks like they want some more non residential conversions as while (Post-secondary, hotels)
It could have been used for anything. Free money. I'm not sure I would have used free money for this, when somehow, the city never was able to square the circle and get a conversion program WHICH WAS IN THE FEDERAL BUDGET delivered and accessed.

Using this money for this purpose is a giant fail.

While I generally agree. It sounds like most of the new funding is coming from the Federal Government, so sorta free money for the city to pump into the program. Looks like they want some more non residential conversions as while (Post-secondary, hotels)
Is that via the housing money the feds have promised?

Good opportunity for the Alberta University of the Arts to find a new home? Their facilities are cramped and old.

Also might be a good chance for the UofC to get some more residence space rather than renting rooms in a motel village hotel.
Not nearly enough money, and not nearly enough of an incentive.

This is a classic subsidy issue, if it is once subsidized it will always have to be subsidized. And if someone is doing it, you have to do it too. That's a summary of "free-market" economics since the 70's and 80's.

This is a classic subsidy issue, if it is once subsidized it will always have to be subsidized. And if someone is doing it, you have to do it too. That's a summary of "free-market" economics since the 70's and 80's.
Or the city can reduce the psf subsidy year over year. From what I remember the previous program had to close because too many applicants, that's clearly an indication they should lower and optimize the psf subsidy to maximize projects built.

Back