News   Apr 03, 2020
 5.4K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 4.3K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

It's still a big project, similar to the 30+ floor towers in terms of # of units (234 units) - but with a shorter, thicker tower (think Brooklyn) rather than a point tower. Personally I have no complaints about the overall massing but design-wise, it's not a looker. But it gets most of the important stuff right - some much needed housing in the downtown core, some CRUs at grade, decent massing and replacing another parking lot with something useful.

Mountain Man: yes, correct
I cant even keep up with all of the project and developments. No complaints|!

Keep in mind that one property developing (and as a result, paying more in taxes than the previous iteration) doesn't mean the City collects more money. It just means the neighbours pay less. The amount the City collects remains the same, the burden of payment just shifts more to the more valued property. So, when the City says they want to increase taxes by X%, it means the overall amount they collect goes up by X%, but the distribution could vary wildly depending on how much a certain property value has changed compared to others year over year.

Also, most of the capital costs of new communities are paid by developers. For the portions of infrastructure that are not their responsibility to build, they contribute to it with offsite levies. I don't know if the City does the growth business cases process anymore (this current Council got rid of it, didn't like the "beauty pageant" aspect of it) so I am not sure if we will be able to see any updated analysis on the costs / payback period of these new communities.

I guess I just get frustrated / fed-up when I hear Councilor's pat themselvs on the back of how good of a job they did because they held tax increases at "inflation plus growth", a refrain we have heard for a long time. If that is the case, we can expect ever higher taxes as we continue to grow.
The budget should grow at no more than inflation plus growth. Taxes need not follow the same trajectory as growth generates more tax revenue

It's still a big project, similar to the 30+ floor towers in terms of # of units (234 units) - but with a shorter, thicker tower (think Brooklyn) rather than a point tower. Personally I have no complaints about the overall massing but design-wise, it's not a looker. But it gets most of the important stuff right - some much needed housing in the downtown core, some CRUs at grade, decent massing and replacing another parking lot with something useful.

Mountain Man: yes, correct
Location of where last of us series filmed...

Back