News   Apr 03, 2020
 5K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.9K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 4K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Man, that picture of Stephen Ave. really shows how bad the pavers/concrete has deteriorated. It really is in desperate need of a full renovation. It's so patched up and non-uniform. Really hope they renovate it to look more European.

Love this facelift, perfect really. Only design choice i'd prefer is some room for plants between the brick wall and sidewalk. Just softens the edge, i prefer no hardscaping to hardscaping. '

There are so many of these everywhere. If the city just naturalized these or planted them over time, we would have a much better looking City on the whole from my perspective.
Here is what i'm talking about everywhere that i dislike so much:
1718291003510.png

Couldn't agree more. We have thousands of these sol called 'green' strips all over the place, and so many look like crap most of the time. If they are going to look like this, they might as well have just put stamped concrete or pavers. The best solution is the example you showed on the 13th ave Greenway. Drought resistance shrubs or those tall grasses. I'm guessing the tall grasses probably take much less maintenance than shrubs, but some shrubs here and there can't hurt.

Two doors west of this on 29th Ave of Marda Loop, Certus have an interesting small project starting this year. Run down residential fourplex being converted to commercial. This corner is a nice addition to Marda Loop and 14th St SW. Certus' office is located in the Our Daily Brett building which is itself a Certus development.

Before

View attachment 571864

After

View attachment 571865

So I went down here yesterday and it turns out that Certus is developing all three of these older buildings into boutique office, restaurants and cafes. The corner will be called 'Culinary Corner'. Great re-use and addition to 14th St / Marda Loop / Mount Royal.
Screenshot 2024-06-13 114925.png
Screenshot 2024-06-13 115105.png

Last edited:
Or just plant some perennials that are super hardy and let them grow in every year like these folks did in Mission:
View attachment 571909

I like when people just forego the City and take little initiative like this to better their streets and neighborgood. It would be great if people planting things in the strips became a trend, especially if the City actively encouraged it.

In our neighbourhood, we have a few roundabouts here that residents have taken up to planting plants and flowers in the middle of. They look awesome and add a nice vibe to the neighborhood. The high percentage or retirees here means we have some awesome gardeners, and I'm sure that's the case in a lot of established neighborhoods.

Man, that picture of Stephen Ave. really shows how bad the pavers/concrete has deteriorated. It really is in desperate need of a full renovation. It's so patched up and non-uniform. Really hope they renovate it to look more European.
Does anybody actually know the funding situation for Stephen Avenue? The Streetscape Master Plan was finished but actual construction is just "TBD". I wonder how much money is being split between this and the downtown portion of 8th Street...

stephen-ave-rendering-07.jpeg

Does anybody actually know the funding situation for Stephen Avenue? The Streetscape Master Plan was finished but actual construction is just "TBD". I wonder how much money is being split between this and the downtown portion of 8th Street...

View attachment 572192
Website says next step is detailed design TBD. Maybe there wasn't money this year for it? I don't know didn't read the full budget. Could always contact your councilor.

It missed the cycle for this four year budget and wasn’t urgent, ready, or a priority enough to make the adjustment process.

There will be a choice to make: should this be simultaneous to Greenline construction (everything done at once in exchange for more disruption to businesses).

If only the city had done regular maintenance on the streetscape over the years (ie. properly replacing broken bricks and mortar) we wouldn't have to do a multi-million dollar overhaul and could allocate that capital to improving another street.

View attachment 572192
They better not be getting rid of the unique street light standards!

840, 838, 836, and 834 Memorial Drive in Sunnyside just sold after only 4 days on the market. Will be interesting to see what developer picked them up, I'd assume we'll get a midrise like the others on that block there.

These 4 for reference: https://maps.app.goo.gl/78uyYwRLeMfsiysG8
Good to see! Any idea on who the developer/purchaser is?
The scale of buildings along Memorial (4-6 stories of residential) is really nice. Don't imagine we'll see much different.

If only the city had done regular maintenance on the streetscape over the years (ie. properly replacing broken bricks and mortar) we wouldn't have to do a multi-million dollar overhaul and could allocate that capital to improving another street.
Aren't pavers a lost cause with Calgary's freeze-thaw cycles unless they are completely within a pedestrian zone? East Village kind of cheated as the pavers there look to be place on top of asphalt.

Saw this in the Crescent Heights community newsletter, happy to see the facility being repurposed but dissappointed that it's now only for those with the $$$
1718821134070.png

(interesting seeing the Bow literally in the Bow river here)

Aren't pavers a lost cause with Calgary's freeze-thaw cycles unless they are completely within a pedestrian zone? East Village kind of cheated as the pavers there look to be place on top of asphalt.
Not really as long as the subgrade and base is prepared properly.

So I went down here yesterday and it turns out that Certus is developing all three of these older buildings into boutique office, restaurants and cafes. The corner will be called 'Culinary Corner'. Great re-use and addition to 14th St / Marda Loop / Mount Royal.
That explains why I noticed that the florist that used to be in the building on the corner seems to be relocating to one of the buildings next to Marda Loop Brewery.

Back