News   Apr 03, 2020
 5.1K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.9K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 4K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

We were just talking about the empty lot a while and wondering why it has been sitting empty for long. It's been pushing 30 years.
It had this building (which looks to me like probably 3 stories of apartments with a light well and parking under the rear) from the early 60s (built sometime between 1957-1962) until at least 1988:
1716872342365.png

By 1995 it was surrounded by a fairly new looking construction fence:
1716872568531.png

So probably over 30 years of nothing.

New land use proposal on 10th Street where the Oak Tree Tavern used to be.
It's calling for up to 12 stories on essentially two lots. Could be interesting.

The space where the Oak Tree Tavern used to be hasn't seemed to lease we'll ever since they closed so I wouldn't be surprised if that's why the lot was presumably sold. I used to adore that patio above the laneway.

On a nother note, it's sad to see a lot of the older buildings in Kensington get redeveloped. I'm worried that if too many of the older buildings on 10th get knocked down a lot of what gives Kensington character will go with them. Personally I'd like to see most of the redevelopment pressure on 10a, the west side of 10th or Kensington Road, but let's try and leave as many of those buildings on the east side alone going forward.

New land use proposal on 10th Street where the Oak Tree Tavern used to be.
It's calling for up to 12 stories on essentially two lots. Could be interesting.

The space where the Oak Tree Tavern used to be hasn't seemed to lease we'll ever since they closed so I wouldn't be surprised if that's why the lot was presumably sold. I used to adore that patio above the laneway.

On a nother note, it's sad to see a lot of the older buildings in Kensington get redeveloped. I'm worried that if too many of the older buildings on 10th get knocked down a lot of what gives Kensington character will go with them. Personally I'd like to see most of the redevelopment pressure on 10a, the west side of 10th or Kensington Road, but let's try and leave as many of those buildings on the east side alone going forward.
I don’t think the lot has been sold, it’s the same Quantum Place application on behalf of Terrigno. Most likely nothing comes of it after the upzoning.

The house is further back from the lagoon and the pathway than I thought it was going to be. Still a much better location for it than where it was before though.

Are all the poles going to be part of some future concept or are they just going to be …. poles ?
Also, are they wood or rusted metal ?

What a stupid plaza. Who designed this shit? Those poles are useless, unless they are designed to block wind from the barren wasteland of a plaza.

Sounds like it was an issue of funding blocks. The latest update on the project website is from January of this year and says "Now that we have received funding for the next phase of construction, we are aiming to have all construction on the Eau Claire Plaza completed in 2025. In the meantime, the Plaza must remain closed to the public to ensure safety and efficiency with construction delivery."

It looks like the most interesting components of the plaza design have still yet to be built. In the picture posted previously you can see the two walkways taking shape that lead to the splash area and the urban beach.

Screenshot_20240602_112825_Adobe Acrobat~2.jpg

Screenshot_20240602_112848_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Just assume the area will be a construction site until Eau Claire Station is finished in 2035 or whatever, that way nobody will be disappointed by delays lol.

Back