News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Isn't it the beach hotel project that we've already seen?

11fe34a0-b34c-41b4-9f03-f4bdfef67d2d_text.gif

The city is holding an engagement session for the residents of the Westbrook area.
VIRTUAL Information Sessions
Wednesday, November 2 from 7-8:30 p.m.
OR
Wednesday, November 9 from 6:30-8 p.m.
REGISTRATION REQUIRED. SIGN UP HERE for the session of your choice.

IN-PERSON Information Session
Monday, Nov 7 from 6-8:30 p.m. at the Wildflower Arts Centre - 3363 Spruce Drive S.W.
REGISTRATION IS NOT REQUIRED for this session. Drop in anytime between 6 - 8:30pm.

I hate people...sometimes this species deserves to be wiped out....sigh. Doesn't look nearly as good as the glass panels. Sad that it has come down to this, all because some loser decided to go on a spree and smash them.
Are you surprised? Anything that can be vandalized will be vandalized.

Has the person who broke the glass been charged with anything?

Are you surprised? Anything that can be vandalized will be vandalized.

Has the person who broke the glass been charged with anything?
Probably has, but it's all a waste of time anyhow. IIRC, he was a homeless guy, so not likely he'll have to pay anything. That and he probably won't do much time if he does any at all.

Probably has, but it's all a waste of time anyhow. IIRC, he was a homeless guy, so not likely he'll have to pay anything. That and he probably won't do much time if he does any at all.

Not homeless - lived (lives?) in Sunnyside near the bridge. Many neighbors reported him when the video footage was released. Having said that, still not very likely he’s going to pay a $1M fine.

Not homeless - lived (lives?) in Sunnyside near the bridge. Many neighbors reported him when the video footage was released. Having said that, still not very likely he’s going to pay a $1M fine.
Ah okay, when it first happened some people initially said he was homeless, but I hadn't followed the story after that. Is he mentally ill or some disgruntled right wing dude?

Ah okay, when it first happened some people initially said he was homeless, but I hadn't followed the story after that. Is he mentally ill or some disgruntled right wing dude?

No idea about his mental state or his politics. No obvious political symbols or connections. Certainly weird but not obviously unstable. I’d seen him wandering around the neighborhood before with the cart that’s in the video, bottle picking I think. My personal theory is that he smashed the first few panels in the spring, and he thought the whole anti-vandalism campaign was kind of mocking him.

I remember a lot being made about how excessive the bridge was when it was conceived but for me its extremely refreshing that it is a very unique bridge. To my knowledge there's nothing else like it I've seen in any other city. Whenever the green line makes its way over the bow river, I only hope something half as unique can be realized.

Still, consequences would at least be some deterrent.

I look to the sad decline of my former home of Seattle once the city council discouraged law enforcement from chasing petty crime, open drug use and vandalism. I don't want Calgary, or anywhere for that matter, to mimic the failed policies of the west coast.

Still, consequences would at least be some deterrent.

I look to the sad decline of my former home of Seattle once the city council discouraged law enforcement from chasing petty crime, open drug use and vandalism. I don't want Calgary, or anywhere for that matter, to mimic the failed policies of the west coast.
These incidents are not an isolated problem. It is places large and small. The sooner we acknowledge that the problem isn't the tucker carlson talking point, but that problems compound, and they compounded just a little earlier in some places, can we get on solving them.

The problems are like the old bankruptcy quote about how it happened: Gradually, then suddenly.

These incidents are not an isolated problem. It is places large and small. The sooner we acknowledge that the problem isn't the tucker carlson talking point, but that problems compound, and they compounded just a little earlier in some places, can we get on solving them.

The problems are like the old bankruptcy quote about how it happened: Gradually, then suddenly.
Associating a belief with an provacative group or individual like Tucker Carlson may be an effective communications strategy, but it is intellectually lazy and frankly, high school level in depth. It is an indisputable fact that cities like Seattle have 10 year plus track record of trying to solve the root causes of homelessness and addiction and failing miserably. People who vandalize property, steal or assault other people are criminals regardless of their personal circumstances.

Problems evolve, and sadly, no jurisdiction has shown it is possible to tackle a combined meth and increasingly potent synthetic opioids crisis without an injection of resources that frankly in north america we just haven't been prepared to do. Institutionalizing those with addictions who turn to petty crime to support their addictions, and good portion of them permenantly as sustainable abstinence only works for about 30% of people with addictions, is going to be way more expensive than providing the nesscary housing and services to let people take back control over their own lives, and stop creating such a negative effect on the community at the same time.

Back