News   Apr 03, 2020
 5K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.9K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 4K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

I would like to see the dealership stay. Finding a compromise to keep businesses like dealerships stay in the core, but make better use of the land is beneficial imo.
Just ran some measurements - 16,300 square meters, with 1200 square meters of show room, and 2,000 square meters of shop , with the balance for vehicle storage would provide them with equal space to today.

Probably could offsite a bunch of storage to near Sunalta LRT temporarily, or move the used car sales elsewhere to save some of that space.

8 floors is good solid density add for Ramsey/Inglewood, but even more important, maybe 12th will eventually turn into a decent corridor.

I was hanging around Inglewood this afternoon and thought of an idea, that might help Inglewood and Ramsay become more unified. I think it would be nice to have a pedestrian bridge at 13th street and 17th ave crossing the tracks at 11st Se. Also with a new proposal for 11th street I can't help but think there's a possibility for 11th street to become a decent corridor, especially with a good pedestrian crossing over into Inglewood. I realize CP would be an obstacle, but outside of that curious to what others think?

Image3.jpg

Image10.jpg

Attachments

• Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 355
  • Image10.jpg
    Image10.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 364
I was hanging around Inglewood this afternoon and thought of an idea, that might help Inglewood and Ramsay become more unified. I think it would be nice to have a pedestrian bridge at 13th street and 17th ave crossing the tracks at 11st Se. Also with a new proposal for 11th street I can't help but think there's a possibility for 11th street to become a decent corridor, especially with a good pedestrian crossing over into Inglewood. I realize CP would be an obstacle, but outside of that curious to what others think?

I definitely agree. 11 St is anchored by Inglewood at one end and the Crossroads Market at the other. Ramsay is an up and coming neighborhood without any existing centre of gravity. Soon there will be two LRT stations at either end of the street as well. This is perhaps the most ideal candidate in the city to get upgraded into the "main streets" program.

In fact, based on the proposed TOD designs created in anticipation for the Green Line, it seems like the city is in agreement (right down to a pedestrian bridge).

Development%20Map.jpg

Inglewood has amazing potential, and once the LRT comes through, look out! you’ll see it take off even more than it has.

@Silence&Motion more or less answered the question with those diagrams. For the record, a pedestrian bridge crossing the tracks at that location is an excellent idea. I'm happy to see the city already has it in their plans. I can see 11th ave becoming a nice urban street once developed out, and I imagine that won't take long once the green line is built.

According to the economic predictions CED is making, this could be our last downtown business skyscraper until the 2030's :(

Ultimately this prediction is tied to the price of oil. If the price keeps rising the way it has for the last month, we'll be crunched for office space in ~2 years.

We can do some work to attract non O&G businesses to the downtown area, but the reality is that their office space needs are so small in comparison to O&G that it will be a dent in the unused space.

The last time Calgary hit 30% vacancy (2009), it was back down to 3% within 6 months as oil rebounded, which should speak volumes about the continued importance of the oil and gas sector on the Calgary downtown market.

That being said, the amount of office space currently on the market is phenomenal and even in a best case circumstance it will take 2ish years to absorb capacity.

Hi Group,
Did Anyone Else see the Article in the Monday Metro About Calgary's Economy?

Tnx,
Operater.

According to the economic predictions CED is making, this could be our last downtown business skyscraper until the 2030's :(
It could be the case, but then again, who knows. I remember reading an article in the Herald at the time of the 1981 bust (I was a skyscraper fan even as a kid) where they said Calgary wouldn't see an new office building for at least 20 years, but we had two new ones start up 6 years later.
I doubt we'll see that happen again, but one never knows. Personally I think we have enough office towers around.

Back