News   Apr 03, 2020
 5.1K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 4K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

I'm quite content with the exorbitant number of residential towers and low/midrises we have underway :)

I'm quite content with the exorbitant number of residential towers and low/midrises we have underway :)
I'm totally happy with all the res towers going up, and would welcome more and more. I should clarify that I don't mind more office, but would like it to be spread out more. We have so much in the CBD already.

I'm totally happy with all the res towers going up, and would welcome more and more. I should clarify that I don't mind more office, but would like it to be spread out more. We have so much in the CBD already.
I'd really like to see some commercial/residential high rises outside the core. I had a total boner for that Currie project but that doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I'd like Calgary to have more nodes of high rises like metro Vancouver.

Ultimately this prediction is tied to the price of oil. If the price keeps rising the way it has for the last month, we'll be crunched for office space in ~2 years.

We can do some work to attract non O&G businesses to the downtown area, but the reality is that their office space needs are so small in comparison to O&G that it will be a dent in the unused space.

The last time Calgary hit 30% vacancy (2009), it was back down to 3% within 6 months as oil rebounded, which should speak volumes about the continued importance of the oil and gas sector on the Calgary downtown market.

That being said, the amount of office space currently on the market is phenomenal and even in a best case circumstance it will take 2ish years to absorb capacity.

This post is just ripe with errors (vacancy peaking at 30% in 2009) and a misunderstanding of what led to the huge swings in absorption. Companies were stockpiling space. This was apparent in 2008/2009 when the market was flooded with sublet space and also in 2015. Those vacancy figures in 2009/2015 were more realistic in relation to Calgary's space needs than when vacancy was hovering around 2%. I don't see a return to that era. 2009 was a blip compared to real estate expenditures companies are facing now. 2 years to absorb 12 plus million square feet also didn't happen during the best of times back then.

It’s slowly moving in that direction. Developments around Brentwood and Banff Trail are moving that trend along.
I'd really like to see some commercial/residential high rises outside the core. I had a total boner for that Currie project but that doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I'd like Calgary to have more nodes of high rises like metro Vancouver.

Yeah, not sure what happened with Currie except that it's probably market related. The residential portion was to be condos, and that's a slow market at the moment.

I don't know if we'll ever see the kind of nodes like Burnaby or North York, or say Chatswood or Paramatta in Sydney, but we do have some decent nodes developing. Brentwood, Chinook and Westbrook all seem like the best chance of becoming decent sized busy nodes.

Honestly, I know it hasn't even started redeveloping yet, but I see Crowfoot Crossing as one day being a pretty good mid/high-density TOD... even just because of its sheer size.

According to the economic predictions CED is making, this could be our last downtown business skyscraper until the 2030's :(
All depends on if owners decide to write down their assets and rent them for less for the long term. The former head of the Chamber has remarked "tech doesn't want office buildings, they want converted lofts". Well, I find that not true. They want well designed spaces with high permeability. This might mean putting in way more nice in office stair cases between floors. Even creating more double height spaces out of existing product. But this has been done before - CPR's modifications to Gulf Canada Square were quite extensive to build their master control space. Many law firms I have been in have nice stair cases to speed up movement between their floors.

Fortunately Calgary's office buildings with large floor plates are for the most part way more flexible to do this kind of work than in other cities. Except for First Canadian Centre's weird triangle of course.

You hit the nail on the head. One of the things that Strategic is already doing with some of their buildings, is making them into more of an open concept loft styled space. It's much easier to renovate and re-purpose office space to a different style of office space than it is to convert to residential.
All depends on if owners decide to write down their assets and rent them for less for the long term. The former head of the Chamber has remarked "tech doesn't want office buildings, they want converted lofts". Well, I find that not true. They want well designed spaces with high permeability. This might mean putting in way more nice in office stair cases between floors. Even creating more double height spaces out of existing product. But this has been done before - CPR's modifications to Gulf Canada Square were quite extensive to build their master control space. Many law firms I have been in have nice stair cases to speed up movement between their floors.

Fortunately Calgary's office buildings with large floor plates are for the most part way more flexible to do this kind of work than in other cities. Except for First Canadian Centre's weird triangle of course.

There are a lot of options that can be done with office space these days, I think people would be amazed to see what you can do with the regular old office space turning it into something really cool.
Calgary is perfectly poised for that kind of action.

Honestly, I know it hasn't even started redeveloping yet, but I see Crowfoot Crossing as one day being a pretty good mid/high-density TOD... even just because of its sheer size.
I've often thought that too but they would have to demo some buildings there to make room no? It's not like a very old area too.

I've often thought that too but they would have to demo some buildings there to make room no? It's not like a very old area too.
Of course, but it isn't like these are any more than pad and frame developments. The first step though is to build a true street grid type thing, then start filling in parking lot bits with parts like the "main street" in aspen landing, with a reasonable amount of street parking, circulation space, and more parking tucked away if needed for them or their neighbours. then as development creeps forward eventually the large buildings either are replaced or can survive in the new environment.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.0396...k-no-pi-0-ya334.604-ro-0-fo100!7i13312!8i6656
upload_2017-11-9_13-10-0.png

upload_2017-11-9_13-10-16.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-9_13-10-0.png
    upload_2017-11-9_13-10-0.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 488
  • upload_2017-11-9_13-10-16.png
    upload_2017-11-9_13-10-16.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 464
Of course, but it isn't like these are any more than pad and frame developments. The first step though is to build a true street grid type thing, then start filling in parking lot bits with parts like the "main street" in aspen landing, with a reasonable amount of street parking, circulation space, and more parking tucked away if needed for them or their neighbours. then as development creeps forward eventually the large buildings either are replaced or can survive in the new environment.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.0396748,-114.2078575,3a,75y,293.73h,82.2t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipO_Evzl_FUl1iNG4yG7ijssN7b5GD5My_qVtjHD!2e10!3e11!6shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipO_Evzl_FUl1iNG4yG7ijssN7b5GD5My_qVtjHD=w203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya334.604-ro-0-fo100!7i13312!8i6656
View attachment 126639
View attachment 126640
In that case Crowfoot would be an awesome location for a few highrises as it's in a corner of the city and up high so it would really spread the city out so to speak from a visual perspective. With the LRT and Stoney right there it has excellent location.

I have very little faith in municipal governments or developers to convert suburban strip malls/big box stores into actual urban neighborhoods. I've never seen this successfully accomplished, though I'd be interested if anyone has some good examples.

As far as developing high-rise neighborhoods in Calgary's suburbs, I would say the area around Chinook LRT station has the most potential. It already has an urban street grid. It's non-residential, so no need to worry about NIMBYs, and it has a lot of pedestrian traffic between the station and the mall.

No one has ones old enough for the most part. We can't be too rushed with things. It will be a 50 year process or more.

Back