News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.9K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.9K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Calgary CMA also with the 4th highest rate of homeownership among CMAs at 73%, only behind Oshawa, Barrie, Kelowna.

This is interesting: "The share of households living in condominiums varied among census metropolitan areas (CMAs) in 2016. Vancouver (30.6%) had the highest proportion of households living in condominiums, surpassing second-place Calgary (21.8%)" .... Toronto at 20.9%

Housing in Canada: Key results from the 2016 Census
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/171025/dq171025c-eng.htm?HPA=1

Prolonged highest-in-nation wages combined with highest growth rates occurring during the sprawl-favouring post-war period are the main drivers of high home ownership rates in Calgary. Houses were/are relatively cheap so that a larger-than-average amount of the population could afford them, combined apartment buildings continuing to be discouraged in most parts of the city (through policy and/or economics) helped inflate home-ownership rates and single-family home rates. Older cities (Montreal most obviously, but also Toronto and Quebec City) havesuch a large stock of pre-war walk-ups and a very different income spectrum that their household statistics tend to be very different.

Interestingly, the big Canadian cities are all also different from each other. While suburbanization of single-family/owner occupied homes occurred on an enormous scale everywhere post-war, what really affects the proportion is the scale of what was there before:

Montreal has 2x the amount of renters as the average (with Calgary falling well below average), as well as limited high-rise living options. Slower growth in Montreal during the past 30 years restricted a redevelopment boom of high-rises on a scale that Vancouver and Toronto had witnessed, while preserving the enormous stock of pre-war walk-ups where a large proportion of Montrealers continue to live. Having hundreds of thousands of units dating before cars existed is a good way to always have a high rental/apartment living share.

Toronto's early planning policies made the type of mid-rise walk-up common in Montreal very rare in the city, resulting in the row-house development being more likely. Apartment towers were never shunned and blossomed in wide areas of the city post-war, on a scale an prevalence unseen in other Canadian cities. It's high rate of apartment-style living is more thanks to the hundreds of thousands of suburban apartment units built post-war, than their recent boom (although, of course, the scale of the current 30-year boom is continuing to shift that balance by the day).

Vancouver while older than Calgary, and therefore with a larger pre-war stock of apartments, row-houses, and rentals, was still no Toronto or Montreal. They probably have the best argument for how more recent planning interventions to promote condo/tower development influenced housing choice (helped by restricted land supply/continued cost and growth pressures).

Its fascinating seeing which forces effect all cities fairly equally (suburbanization, favourable mortgage rules, disinvestment by government in social housing etc.) while which forces clearly impacted development in one place specifically more than others (Montreal's enormous old stock of housing, Calgary's long-run, much higher than average incomes etc.)

/EndPlanningNerdRant/

I wanted to take a look at what I assume is Calgary's most diverse part of the CMA, which is the Calgary Skyview federal electoral district, roughly corresponding to the NE.

As expected, it's majority immigrant, although barely: 67,700 immigrants out of a population of 135,000.
When you look at visible minorities, it's 93,900. A clear majority. Many of those are children of immigrants born in Canada.

Interesting that Forest Lawn (which encompasses part of the older NE) also has a slight majority of visible minorities: 58,640 out of 111,100.

Calgary CMA also with the 4th highest rate of homeownership among CMAs at 73%, only behind Oshawa, Barrie, Kelowna.

This is interesting: "The share of households living in condominiums varied among census metropolitan areas (CMAs) in 2016. Vancouver (30.6%) had the highest proportion of households living in condominiums, surpassing second-place Calgary (21.8%)" .... Toronto at 20.9%

Housing in Canada: Key results from the 2016 Census
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/171025/dq171025c-eng.htm?HPA=1
I'm surprised Calgary comes out ahead of Toronto in Condominium ownership, but I supoose Toronto would have much higher amount of rental.

Visible minorities: 463,450 (does not include white or aboriginal people. It's kind of a strange term because where does white end and begin?)

From Statistics Canada:
'Visible minority' refers to whether a person belongs to a visible minority group as defined by the Employment Equity Act and, if so, the visible minority group to which the person belongs. The Employment Equity Act defines visible minorities as "persons, other than Aboriginal peoples, who are non-Caucasian in race or non-white in colour". The visible minority population consists mainly of the following groups: South Asian, Chinese, Black, Filipino, Latin American, Arab, Southeast Asian, West Asian, Korean and Japanese.

It's a difficult issue because racial categories are only real to the extent that people believe them to be real. Thus, you can have some "races" corresponding to nationalities (e.g. Chinese, Korean, etc.), others to religion (e.g. Jews), and still others (ostensibly) to skin colour (e.g. Black). Meanwhile the category of "white" (or without a race) changes over time so that people who were once considered non-white (e.g. Irish, Italians, Jews, etc.) are now largely seen as white.

As the groups currently identified as "visible minorities" have children with "white" people, some combinations will probably become recognized as white (e.g. Chinese/white) and other will probably continue to be considered non-white (e.g. Black/white). And all of this will continue to matter only to the extent that people perceived to be "non-white" are treated as inferior and "not-quite" Canadian. The probable result is that "white" people will never be a minority, because that category will keep expanding just as it always has. There's a good article about it in the NY Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/11/opinion/sunday/the-census-and-right-wing-hysteria.html.

Latin American as a "visible minority" seems especially murky to me. Many Latin Americans are of entirely Spanish or other European decent meaning they should probably be classified as white. There are also many who are entirely descended from North American indigenous populations which, while maybe qualifying as a "visible minority" might make more sense being classed among aboriginals. The majority are mestizo (shares a root with the word Metis), a bit of both to some degree.

And don't tell me any mestizo people never moved to Spain. And don't tell me no one in Spain isn't a little Moorish.

Interestingly, a lot of old "European" and "African" north american populations have a fair bit of "North American Indian" mixed in a long the way. And on the flip side, most "First Nations" have their share of European admixture. Sometimes what separates an Indian person from a Metis person from a White person is a choice.

And what about "West Asian?" I'm assuming they must mean Iranian/Persian peoples (e.g. Iranians proper, Tajiks, Kurds, etc.) and Turkic peoples like (e.g. Turks proper, Kazakhs, Uyghurs, etc.). That's an extremely heterogeneous group right there. And the features run the gamut from East-Asian in appearance to practically Gaelic looking. Is an Armenian an West Asian? If not, then why? The only possible reasons are cultural rather than "ethnic." And when do we switch from West to South Asian? And is a fair skinned person from Northern India, both and still a visible minority?

Fun fact about "Turks." When the Ottoman Empire collapsed, there was a hell of a time sorting out who was who. Between Greeks and Turks, it came down to religion. If you were Christian, you were Greek and if you were Muslim you were a Turk. No other criteria mattered. The Greeks by the way, called themselves Romans before independence. :p So, should we be considering Romans a visible minority? Maybe we should ask Giannis Antetokounmpo?

The same pretty much goes for Arabs. Is a dark skinned Sudanese person less or more of an Arab than a fair skinned Lebanese person? And which does or does not constitute a visible minority.

And black... well... that one's off the charts. The level of genetic distance among "black" is higher than that found on the rest of the planet.

I happen to think "race" is a silly way of looking at things, but that's the world we live in. Wishing for it to be any other way is a laughable exercise. I'll just go about my business not giving two-hoots about skin colour and eye shape. (Ooooh! But if you can curl your tongue, you and your filthy kin can be gone from my homeland! It has been handed down for generation! [sic] & [sark])

Last edited:
Calgary really entering an elite league of immigrant cities. We've surpassed New York

% of Population that are immigrants, by metro area (Canada 2016, US, 2015)
Toronto: 46.1
Vancouver: 40.8
Miami: 38.9
San Jose: 37.2
Los Angeles: 33.7
El Centro, CA: 32.6
Salinas, CA: 30.1
San Francisco: 30.0
Calgary: 29.4
McCallen, TX: 28.8
Other selected cities:
New York: 28.6
Houston: 22.7
Washington: 22.1
Chicago: 17.8
Boston: 17.3
Seattle: 17.3

Migration Policy Institute, US Immigrant Population by MSA
https://www.migrationpolicy.org/programs/data-hub/charts/us-immigrant-population-metropolitan-area

Stats Canada, Immigration and ethnocultural diversity: Key results from the 2016 Census
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/171025/dq171025b-eng.htm?HPA=1

That and immigrants populations in those American cities tends to be from one country. San Francisco and LA are more varied, but not as varied as Calgary.

Calgary really entering an elite league of immigrant cities. We've surpassed New York

% of Population that are immigrants, by metro area (Canada 2016, US, 2015)
Toronto: 46.1
Vancouver: 40.8
Miami: 38.9
San Jose: 37.2
Los Angeles: 33.7
El Centro, CA: 32.6
Salinas, CA: 30.1
San Francisco: 30.0
Calgary: 29.4
McCallen, TX: 28.8
Other selected cities:
New York: 28.6
Houston: 22.7
Washington: 22.1
Chicago: 17.8
Boston: 17.3
Seattle: 17.3

Migration Policy Institute, US Immigrant Population by MSA
https://www.migrationpolicy.org/programs/data-hub/charts/us-immigrant-population-metropolitan-area

Stats Canada, Immigration and ethnocultural diversity: Key results from the 2016 Census
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/171025/dq171025b-eng.htm?HPA=1

Hey guys, I just wanna bring to everyones attention of a proposal by One properties on 9th avenue. Everyones been occupied by the 12th ave project but this one is just as big. Same timeline as well. It's where the metro ford is and proposed to have 2160 units.

http://oneproperties.com/9th-avenue-residential/

(posted on another discussion already, trying to get more details)

The Metro Ford site plan has been out there for awhile. However, all indications that I have, point to 12 Ave SE as being One Properties' next Calgary project.

With Cidex West Village project already under construction, I don't see the Metro Ford site being developed for a few years.

Those renders have definitely popped up at least once in the past year. I don't think it ever got to the point of having it's own thread. It would be nice to see it go forward. I'm still pretty blown away that the WV Towers are happening at all. Seeing more development on the west end would be nice, but I'm willing to be patient.

The Metro Ford site plan has been out there for awhile. However, all indications that I have, point to 12 Ave SE as being One Properties' next Calgary project.

With Cidex West Village project already under construction, I don't see the Metro Ford site being developed for a few years.
I've heard that the Metro Ford proposal is pretty much on the back burner but not cold yet. Apparently there have been some recent negotiations about keeping the dealership and building it into the development.

Not really an urban development thing, but this recent photo of the skyline shows how much the core has grown over the past few years. How many buildings in this pic are from the last 10 years?

http://www.stockaerialphotos.com/-/...5-4112-85fb-8e75074e73e9-calgary-skyline-2017
Image4.jpg

Attachments

• Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    462 KB · Views: 356
Hey guys, random question ...
Anyone know when they're going to update the skyscraper models in Google Maps satellite view? If ever?
As it stands now, Brookfield Place is a pit, the EV is next to empty, Telus Sky is non-existant, City Centre is like a third of the way built, etc.

Was looking at New York and different places too, to see if it's just us who haven't gotten a model update recently. But it looks like they haven't either.
I thought I heard something about them not updating models anymore ... no clue if that's true but that would be a shame.

Back