News   Apr 03, 2020
 5.1K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 4K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Cool designs. (Isn't it always that way with MoDA?) I like the bald concrete myself. More austerity! Too heck with your kids and your fancy colourful post-modernism. I want my buildings to oppress the hell out of me. :p I feel like such a drastic remodeling would violate any attempt to preserve it's heritage value. If you aren't going to keep it as a brutalist building, why keep it at all?

I really like the idea of having an art museum close to the library and NMC. We could almost get out own little Museumplein going.

Last edited:
As long as the screen could be removed later (heritage sensitive) I'd be fine with it as an economical way to shield the facade partially from snow and some moisture.

Interesting profile. It isn't like the Globe to pay too much attention to what going on in the colonies. Too bad some of the projects they singled out seem a long way off. I'm pretty pumped about that Minto one though. I had kinda forgotten about it.

I love the Beltline proposal by Gravity. I would rather see this get built than the Orchard Towers if it was my choice. Orchard would offer more residents, but this would offer a better feel for the community.

alta-midrise0825re01.JPG

Attachments

• alta-midrise0825re01.JPG
    alta-midrise0825re01.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 524
I agree, but I hope they don't turn out to be mutually exclusive. That area would be better with both.

I'd love to see another hotel to go along with the Hilton and Alt for that east part of town. Every other city I've been to has hotels mixed into various neighbourhoods like this. But here, they happen to be in the generally more sterile quarters of downtown or off in horrible industrial areas near the airport.

Keep 'em coming I say!

I love the Beltline proposal by Gravity. I would rather see this get built than the Orchard Towers if it was my choice. Orchard would offer more residents, but this would offer a better feel for the community.

View attachment 119457
Isn't this one likely to be acquired out of existence for the Green Line? A nice design and a good market assessment may just be meant for increasing their heads of compensation during expropriation.

I forget, and really don't want to download the massive final alignment drawings for 40+km

Where would a ridiculous nerd, such as myself, locate such drawings sir?

Here's some clips of what it would have looked like. Not really shown in the renderings, but part of the proposed design was a residential tower (25 floors iirc) that sat in the atrium.

View attachment 119427 View attachment 119428 View attachment 119429

Sheesh! After seeing these renderings, I'm glad they're leaving the poor building alone for the time being. No point in using an iconic building if you plan to completely cover up its iconic look with a "flavor of the month" renovation. They didn't even plan to fill in that dreadful driveway!

If they insist on major renovations, then best to inflict them upon the planetarium. It's original charm has already been renovated out of existence anyway.

SCVIEW470814.jpg

Back