News   Apr 03, 2020
 5K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.9K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 4K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

The only thing I would change would be to tear down the municipal building and start over.

Is there still a plan to punch a hole in city hall and connect 8th ave to the riff? I think a +15 to the new library was included too.

I'd certainly be in favour of them reworking city hall to make a better connection through to the East Village but I hope any plans they had for a +15 have been shelved, I think it would take away from the look of the library and add little benefit.

The only thing I would change would be to tear down the municipal building and start over.
I actually like the municipal building and think it can be improved with little work (namely, activate the plaze in front by adding retail, and find a way to activate 3st now that the library is there). The building isn't the prettiest, but it has a unique shape and massing that makes it stand out. My biggest beef with it is the way interfaces with city hall, very cold and uninviting.

I actually like the municipal building and think it can be improved with little work (namely, activate the plaze in front by adding retail, and find a way to activate 3st now that the library is there). The building isn't the prettiest, but it has a unique shape and massing that makes it stand out. My biggest beef with it is the way interfaces with city hall, very cold and uninviting.

I don't care for the massing/shape so being different doesn't apply. It's a bloated whale and acts as a barrier between the East Village and downtown. There are ways around it but, all are compromises compared to tearing it down and starting over. (which will never , ever happen)

I like city hall as it currently looks but with some improvement. I would completely reclad the building in a very, very clear transparent glass with maybe some black trim. This will make it look less heavy and more modern. I would redo the entire front plaza (insert a large fountain, little retail boxes like Brookfield, sitting/patio areas, nice paving, flowers, etc). I would also create the tunnel through he building effectively connecting Stephen Ave with the East Village.

I don't have as much hate for the municipal building - but it sure is a "groundscraper" with it's large footprint. Nonetheless, I think it could use some modernizations. The plaza could probably be done in tandem with Olympic Plaza. Design/style/features consistent on both sides of MacLeod would look good. That faulty truss still needs replaced, so one thing at a time haha.

I'd blow out a wide section of City Hall and have 8th ave go right through to EV. Cladding with different glass would also be nice. I can't stand the way the east side fo city hall is a giant mirror facing EV.

Yes! Imagine the walk from St. Patrick's pedestrian bridge, through the Riff, and then down 8th ave.

I would really like to see some sort of passage through city Hall to EV. Preferably a wide corridor with nothing above but sky. Given the tightening of city spending, I'm guessing it could be a while. Maybe they can do something to at least have an at grade passageway, it would still be much better than what we have today.

The model of it, complete with fountains, different glass, larger skylights.
AB19810004P001E2PDMB017051740276.jpg

Also, the ground floor, see the marking "24 hour pedestrian mall"
AB19810004P001E2PDMB017051740267.jpg

Both from: http://www.ccc.umontreal.ca/fiche_concours.php?lang=en&cId=4

Back