News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.8K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

Reminds me of Avenue 33. Looks pretty solid, and wil be good toward building more corridor at 33rd. I think ultimately it's good, materials will decide how good.

It doesn't say anything about retail on this billboard, but I believe the zoning change they are requesting is to a mixed-use designation and the building looks relatively retail friendly at the ground level. My main concern is that all the buildings alone 33 Ave are designed in a way that they could be easily converted to retail in the future.

I went to Marda Loop today, wow! I think someone else said this recently on here - it truly is approaching Kensington levels of activity. So many shops, cafes and retail, on and off the main street. The recent condo mid-rises are very notable, creating an entirely different vibe - a truly urban one. Great to see all the new projects like this one down 33rd and 14th Street as well.

Only one problem: while the development has been booming for decades, the transportation system is unbelievably out-of-touch for Marda Loop's new dense and increasingly pedestrian-orientation.
  • Purely suburban style is everywhere
  • narrow/closed sidewalks
  • few/zero crosswalks
  • few stop signs or impediments to maximize vehicle speeds
  • no pedestrian bump outs
  • super long light cycles,
  • high-speed advanced greens
  • all signals are 'beg buttons' and won't change unless you press them
In my 2 hours today wandering around I saw 3 near collisions of vehicles whipping around corners (because there are no traffic controls added from the era when a road was a sleepy side street), big trucks/SUVs bombing down 33rd and 34th, a near collision with a stroller in a rare crosswalk. Traffic is completely chaotic and set up for far higher speeds that is safe. Someone will absolutely be killed on 34th or 33rd in the future if nothing is done to control the speeds and poor sightlines around parked vehicles.

I hope the City steps up soon and completes the picture with their new Main Street master plan for the area: a modern mid-density urban village with walkable, transit friendly streetscapes. Adding about 10 blocks worth of 1st Street SW-level high-quality streetscape improvements would go a long way to address this. And about 20 more completely controlled intersections.

You completely nailed it with the Marda Loop traffic problem. Marda Loop has everything going for it right now, except the traffic situation. When SUV's aren't bombing down the road, it's backed up from traffic off of Crowchild. Also it's hard to cross 33rd anywhere that doesn't have a traffic light.

I went to Marda Loop today, wow! I think someone else said this recently on here - it truly is approaching Kensington levels of activity. So many shops, cafes and retail, on and off the main street. The recent condo mid-rises are very notable, creating an entirely different vibe - a truly urban one. Great to see all the new projects like this one down 33rd and 14th Street as well.

Only one problem: while the development has been booming for decades, the transportation system is unbelievably out-of-touch for Marda Loop's new dense and increasingly pedestrian-orientation.
  • Purely suburban style is everywhere
  • narrow/closed sidewalks
  • few/zero crosswalks
  • few stop signs or impediments to maximize vehicle speeds
  • no pedestrian bump outs
  • super long light cycles,
  • high-speed advanced greens
  • all signals are 'beg buttons' and won't change unless you press them
In my 2 hours today wandering around I saw 3 near collisions of vehicles whipping around corners (because there are no traffic controls added from the era when a road was a sleepy side street), big trucks/SUVs bombing down 33rd and 34th, a near collision with a stroller in a rare crosswalk. Traffic is completely chaotic and set up for far higher speeds that is safe. Someone will absolutely be killed on 34th or 33rd in the future if nothing is done to control the speeds and poor sightlines around parked vehicles.

I hope the City steps up soon and completes the picture with their new Main Street master plan for the area: a modern mid-density urban village with walkable, transit friendly streetscapes. Adding about 10 blocks worth of 1st Street SW-level high-quality streetscape improvements would go a long way to address this. And about 20 more completely controlled intersections.
Good News:

It is likely going on the used car dealership, directly adjacent to the London tower. This is the DP:
I just realized I had not reported that Strategic Group is planning a residential development called Heritage Station on the property just north of this one. It is 6 buildings with 560-650 residences. Apparently the application is being considered by the city and there is question on the height of the buildings. Strategic have their name on a trailer, parked there now. Used to be a waterslide park on this property?

These guys have their art gallery at 4 Street SW, between 15th and 17th Avenues. I wonder if they're moving or if it's a new branch.

IIRC, the building is going to go through major renovations with the addition of the two condo buildings to the north. I think some tenants may be able to stay during the construction (ANJU perhaps?) but I think the amount of work happening on that side of the building might require them to relocate.

Art Galleries are fine. We need to stop making the perfect the enemy of the good (not a comment directed at you).

Not much information is available on it. It went through a land use approval last year. While not a detailed design, this building schematic was shown as part of the Council Public Hearing on October 9th:
https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=69095

Back