News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.6K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.7K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

I was shocked to see development notice signage for a modern multi-res midrise development at this site along Macleod. Can't find a link to the development anywhere online. Has to be the ugliest strip in the inner-city, but it's good to see new development in pretty much every inner-city neighborhood here. Best way to really boost density.
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.014...4!1s-hSsrY6bI_0jrn3whE908g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This DP was submitted in Dec 2017 and is currently under review - why would it still be under review?

This DP was submitted in Dec 2017 and is currently under review - why would it still be under review?
The development map lists projects as "under review", even if they have been given one formal set of comments from The City and are awaiting the applicant's response. Perhaps the city sent the first DTR (detailed team review), and the applicant is deciding whether to proceed with the project and just hasn't responded. Hence, it shows up on the system as still "under review".

I dunno about this one. It's a beautiful design of course and responding to the dated feel of Arts Commons, but I feel it falls in that old Calgary engineer-mindset trap; enough capital dollars can solve your problems. Money is critical - to be sure - but being strategic, sutainable and long-range is often overlooked. For $400 million - or half that for phase 1 - could we trigger the start of a true entertainment district, much like the Stephen Ave of old? It's lost on many the contradiction that while we get excited by shiny new plans, we also are also celebrating the tear down of the closed theatre in the Barron Building.

People get excited by new arts buildings, but don't seem to mind the small and mid-sized venues evaporating from the centre city over the past decades (not a uniquely Calgarian phenomenon, of course). How can we use this money to keep venues like the Palace operating and attract the development of more venues along the avenue to create a true district? Is one monolithic arts centre the way to go? Or is there ways using the same level of support we could create a stronger overall ecosystem of private/public arts and culture venues?

I am not saying this project won't be a good thing if it happens - I just see no evidence that other, perhaps more beneficial, approaches are receiving the same attention. Little effort is made (publicly at least) to save existing venue capacity or support it's organic expansion. Could we put that $200 million into a venue sustainment and expansion fund? Add a few theatres elsewhere and support the ones already open? Distribute the arts throughout the core, rather than concentrate?

Also I’d like to see more detailed renderings. The current ones look conceptual and don’t give a full impression.
I’m not keen on them messing with the Teatro building, it’s fine as is leave it alone!
I dunno about this one. It's a beautiful design of course and responding to the dated feel of Arts Commons, but I feel it falls in that old Calgary engineer-mindset trap; enough capital dollars can solve your problems. Money is critical - to be sure - but being strategic, sutainable and long-range is often overlooked. For $400 million - or half that for phase 1 - could we trigger the start of a true entertainment district, much like the Stephen Ave of old? It's lost on many the contradiction that while we get excited by shiny new plans, we also are also celebrating the tear down of the closed theatre in the Barron Building.

People get excited by new arts buildings, but don't seem to mind the small and mid-sized venues evaporating from the centre city over the past decades (not a uniquely Calgarian phenomenon, of course). How can we use this money to keep venues like the Palace operating and attract the development of more venues along the avenue to create a true district? Is one monolithic arts centre the way to go? Or is there ways using the same level of support we could create a stronger overall ecosystem of private/public arts and culture venues?

I am not saying this project won't be a good thing if it happens - I just see no evidence that other, perhaps more beneficial, approaches are receiving the same attention. Little effort is made (publicly at least) to save existing venue capacity or support it's organic expansion. Could we put that $200 million into a venue sustainment and expansion fund? Add a few theatres elsewhere and support the ones already open? Distribute the arts throughout the core, rather than concentrate?

Thanks MicahelS. Wasn't a fan of Rolin's personality, but really did enjoy Baconfest. We should really just take it over. There are enough of us on here to run an interesting series with some Q and A feedback. Maybe enlist some planners to sit as a panel discussion after the films.

Back