News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.6K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

43rd ave. Used to be the Bluebird Motel back in the day.

Ah yes, the place next door had a fire awhile ago. I was actually driving by it when it started to smoke. Went to Chinook mall, came back up Macleod, fire was out, but the second story was seriously damaged. Good to see something here. Maybe the adjacent building will redevelop in time too.

Proposal for new fieldhouse development that will replace McMahon stadium and include a 6,500 seat arena plus aquatic facility. Seems very ambitious I'm skeptical this will go through but who knows.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/loca...-developer-selling-new-mcmahon-centre-project
Damn beat me to it, you guys are quick!
Ill share some of the pics
1548724123328.png
:
1548724156781.png

Interesting. I definitely would like to see McMahon replaced. It's really sad that all other CFL teams have decent stadiums and the class of the league has the dumpiest stadium. I take it it's mostly conceptual as there is no number on the seats for the stadium or an any kind of design.

The conceptual plan as a whole looks good for the most part, especially having the bridge come through to a wide open passage way. It opens up lots of opportunities.
Proposal for new fieldhouse development that will replace McMahon stadium and include a 6,500 seat arena plus aquatic facility. Seems very ambitious I'm skeptical this will go through but who knows.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/loca...-developer-selling-new-mcmahon-centre-project

Yes, the field-house is connected to the new stadium. It also looks like this late comer of a proposal has already made a big impact. Sucks no decisions were made today but I would hate to see just a BMO centre built in Victoria park. IMO An arena/event centre needs to be approved alongside it to help give the area a strong boost in kickstarting construction. The McMahon stadium proposal looks interesting but its so last minute with many unanswered details. As far as I can see, the stadium proposal does not look to have or mention a fully retractable roof which defeats the whole purpose of why we should get a new stadium. I also feel like the Arts Common expansion can wait, Sports has been getting no love. It'll definitely be interesting to see what they pick in April but Arts Common is definitely on the bottom of my list.

I would be okay if they just built a new stadium and kept it simple. Attaching a field house is fine also.
The overall plan looks good but mostly concept.

I’m with you on Arts Commons. It’s not a priority .
Yes, the field-house is connected to the new stadium. It also looks like this late comer of a proposal has already made a big impact. Sucks no decisions were made today but I would hate to see just a BMO centre built in Victoria park. IMO An arena/event centre needs to be approved alongside it to help give the area a strong boost in kickstarting construction. The McMahon stadium proposal looks interesting but its so last minute with many unanswered details. As far as I can see, the stadium proposal does not look to have or mention a fully retractable roof which defeats the whole purpose of why we should get a new stadium. I also feel like the Arts Common expansion can wait, Sports has been getting no love. It'll definitely be interesting to see what they pick in April but Arts Common is definitely on the bottom of my list.

No decision to move forward on the BMO expansion or has it already been made?
To me that should be priority #1. Expanding capacity for conventions, trade shows etc should attract more interest from those entities who previously gave Calgary a pass. It would be an immediate revenue generator for the city. Why wait for decisions on any of the other proposals?

Here are my 4 priorities for large projects.
1 BMO expansion (good for business)
2 new arena ( I like concerts)
3 new stadium
4 arts common (I support the arts, but it’s s smaller percentage of people who take advantage of it)

Interesting. I definitely would like to see McMahon replaced. It's really sad that all other CFL teams have decent stadiums and the class of the league has the dumpiest stadium. I take it it's mostly conceptual as there is no number on the seats for the stadium or an any kind of design.

The conceptual plan as a whole looks good for the most part, especially having the bridge come through to a wide open passage way. It opens up lots of opportunities.
Preach it brother - totally agree!!
The proposal needs a lot of work but the concept is promising.

Back