News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 883     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

darwink

Member Bio
Reaction score
Don't forget both the Decidedly Jazz Danceworks (Kahanoff 2) over the past 10 years, and the future expansion of the Alberta Ballet for the next 10! :D
DJD was small potatoes ($26 million) compared to the Ballet ask, which to build today would be around $100 million. The ballet will probably come back with a less grand vision over the next decade, and be funded late in the cycle or in the next one.

Zoom

Member Bio
Reaction score
Why are towers potentially sterile, but not mid rise buildings?
It's only my opinion, but to me high rise towers are inherently more sterile than low rise buildings due to repetition of the same materials over more floors. I'm not against high rise towers, and like seeing them around our core as long as there aren't too many in one cluster. I don't like the cold wind swept feeling that comes from a cluster of highrises when there are too many. By the same token, I don't care for areas that are all 6 storey buildings either. I like the variety.

Mull

Member Bio
Reaction score
How would one pressure Enmax to sell/develop the decommissioned substation site along Mission Road? What would be a good fit for there? I heard a rumor there is ground contamination on the site, anyone hear that?

maestro

Member Bio
Reaction score
It's only my opinion, but to me high rise towers are inherently more sterile than low rise buildings due to repetition of the same materials over more floors. I'm not against high rise towers, and like seeing them around our core as long as there aren't too many in one cluster. I don't like the cold wind swept feeling that comes from a cluster of highrises when there are too many. By the same token, I don't care for areas that are all 6 storey buildings either. I like the variety.
A taller building being larger will have a larger servicing area at grade. The largest contributor towards sterility is number of developments per block. A midrises which occupies a half to a full block is not as interesting as a half dozen or more distinct midrises that share the same block. Unfortunately, everything is large scale today. Fortunately sterility can still be a pleasing aestethic if done well. Historic cues replicating eras of 6 plus midrises per block doesn't transfer well to modern, large scale development.

RyLucky

Member Bio
Reaction score
Late to the convo, but here’s my $0.02:

It really should be a mix of densities, and every single design element should aim to promote walking, biking, and transit use. Often low to medium rise buildings are better at this than high rises. Retail and mixed use are great at promoting these modes too, but zoning for it is not enough to Keep retail alive. The best thing the city can do with the VP plan is develop a park along the Elbow, improve cycle network, etc. I’d have no problem with a 100-storey condo going in next to the new Green Line station. I’d also have no problem with some 4-6 storey walk-ups near the river.

gsunnyg

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://troymedia.com/2019/01/21/challenging-economy-boosts-rental-demand/
A good read that backs up the recent rental boom we've had and signs show that it probably won't slow down anytime soon so thats great news. Although I do prefer a booming condo market. On that note, the mortgage stress rules are complete BS when u factor in rising interest rates and really only two markets dictating the federal governments justification for them (Vancouver & Toronto). Practically killed our housing market recovery. Even Vancouver's housing sales numbers are hovering around 2008 recession levels but failed to drop in values drastically because home prices are very sticky. A pathetic policy IMO and from what Ive read, for most housing experts too, should be reversed ASAP.

JonnyCanuck

Member Bio
Reaction score
With all of the new rental product coming onto the market (including condos that owners are renting out) together with existing older buildings (particularly in the inner city), there is a lot of competition for renters. Those are usually not conditions for raising rents.
I have difficulty with the premise in the article that 'people are nervous about buying when home prices are depressed because they want to see appreciation in home values first'. What???? Increased demand is exactly what causes price appreciation over time. I don't think anyone thinks when they buy a home, the value should start going up the day after they move in. Who even pays attention to that in the first few years if you are a first time home buyer?
The new mortgage rules may be preventing some people from buying but interest rates are still very low. I think the main factor that is keeping a lot of young people out of the housing market is the lack of job security in Calgary.

Social Justice

Member Bio
Reaction score

Surrealplaces

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
I find that hard to believe with lower migration and the amount of units coming online.
I guess it's one of those things we'll have to see play out. I would normally be skeptical too, but I've been skeptical for the last three years, and I keep getting surprised. I'm not sure what to expect.

Spring2008

Member Bio
Reaction score
I was shocked to see development notice signage for a modern multi-res midrise development at this site along Macleod. Can't find a link to the development anywhere online. Has to be the ugliest strip in the inner-city, but it's good to see new development in pretty much every inner-city neighborhood here. Best way to really boost density.
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.014...4!1s-hSsrY6bI_0jrn3whE908g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Also, saw signage for this on my way to Banff. Pretty meh.
http://binghamcrossing.com/

Last edited:

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
I was walking to a metal show at the Blind Beggar Pub from 39 Avenue Station a few weeks back, and holy hell, Macleod has to be the single worst street I've ever had the displeasure of walking a kilometer on.

FCC1982

Member Bio
Reaction score
I was shocked to see development notice signage for a modern multi-res midrise development at this site along Macleod. Can't find a link to the development anywhere online. Has to be the ugliest strip in the inner-city, but it's good to see new development in pretty much every inner-city neighborhood here. Best way to really boost density.
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.014...4!1s-hSsrY6bI_0jrn3whE908g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Also, saw signage for this on my way to Banff. Pretty meh.
http://binghamcrossing.com/
Great news on both fronts !