News   Apr 03, 2020
 4.7K     1 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 6.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3.8K     0 

Urban Development and Proposals Discussion

You could also add the ~500 units of Parkside. The occupancy started after the previous census.
City Centre should easily top 50K within 5-7 years with the following projects soon adding residents and possibly more to come.

-West Village Towers
-Telus Sky
-Concord
-Underwood
-Curtis Block
-INK
-Verve
-500 Block
-The Hat
-The Hat 7th ave
-11th and 11th
-The Royal
-Residence Inn
-Redstone
-Barron conversion
-Cube conversion
-Sierra Place conversion
-Park Point (occupied but residents haven't been added to census yet)

50K looks bang on even in 3-4 years. With current u/c projects alone finishing up it would add roughly 6700 people to the city centre population of 43,492. All of the projects should be finished within 4 years.

-West Village Towers 300
-Telus Sky 326
-Concord 218
-Underwood 330
-Curtis Block 628
-INK 119
-Verve 288
-500 Block 463
-The Hat 221
-The Hat 7th ave 66
-11th and 11th 369
-The Royal 223
-Residence Inn 313
-Redstone 137
-Barron conversion 65
-Cube conversion 66
-Sierra Place conversion 100
-Parkside 303
-Park Point (occupied but residents haven't been added to census yet) 289

Total 4824 units x 1.4 persons/unit = 6753 people.

City Centre should easily top 50K within 5-7 years with the following projects soon adding residents and possibly more to come.

-West Village Towers
-Telus Sky
-Concord
-Underwood
-Curtis Block
-INK
-Verve
-500 Block
-The Hat
-The Hat 7th ave
-11th and 11th
-The Royal
-Residence Inn
-Redstone
-Barron conversion
-Cube conversion
-Sierra Place conversion
-Park Point (occupied but residents haven't been added to census yet)

Just found these renderings of a redeveloped Glenbow museum by Dialog. Interesting to note that they're proposing a +15 to connect to Arts Common.

Online-Image-Sizes-gBOW-3Project-Gallery.jpg

Online-Image-Sizes-gbow-5Project-Gallery.jpg

Online-Image-Sizes-Gbow2Project-Gallery.jpg

Online-Image-Sizes-gbow-7Project-Gallery.jpg

Source

Actually I like the balloon dog if it's made of reflective metal. :cool:

I like the museum building for the most part. I like the simplicity of it, and with those cut out angles, you could do some cool backlighting.

Just found these renderings of a redeveloped Glenbow museum by Dialog. Interesting to note that they're proposing a +15 to connect to Arts Common.

Online-Image-Sizes-gBOW-3Project-Gallery.jpg

Online-Image-Sizes-gbow-5Project-Gallery.jpg

Online-Image-Sizes-Gbow2Project-Gallery.jpg

Online-Image-Sizes-gbow-7Project-Gallery.jpg

Source
That looks great. A +15 would definitely be nice in the location as well. Hopefully there's no complaints against it from city officials because of "decrease in street foot traffic". Always found that argument ridiculous considering Calgary's cold climate.

This is definitely the hill I am choosing to die on, but this is exactly the problem with Calgary's goals. They will zone this for high-rises, land prices will be high and speculative, and this shit will stay surface gravel parking lots with a couple of cold, full-block/multi-tower parcels sprinkling the otherwise barren landscape for the next 30 years. They are throwing too much density at anyone that will take it, but we just don't have the demand to soak this all up. Everything here should be 4-10 stories. Nothing taller. This would bring speculative land prices back to reality, and smaller projects could fill in the land in the next 20 years. It should look like a version of Olympic Village in Vancouver, but with shorter buildings. I would rather see continuous street walls with low and mid-rises, and a vibrant community built here in the short term. And you know what might happen if we set lower density targets in Victoria Park? It might encourage developers looking to build tall towers to look back to underutilized land downtown where a density bonus structure could be beneficial for them. There is just so much land available for high-rises and we simply aren't going to have the demand to build this out even in 50 years. They need to think shorter term and much smaller scale. Everywhere doesn't have to look like Yaletown/False Creek.
And pic examples of what I want to see (as i do in most posts):
View attachment 170442View attachment 170443
View attachment 170444
While I partially agree with your argument, you do need to keep in mind that if large areas of Calgary stop building mid and high rises to only build low rises(and smaller mid rises), this would mean that at some point Calgary will need to stat tearing down all these low rises which will just increase future construction costs in downtown and discourage future developments once the parking lots run out. I've always been a big advocate against barren parking lots in cities like Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg, but getting rid of the potential development spaces too quickly wouldn't be great either. Calgary is already projected to hit around 1.8 million residents by 2025 while in 2017, it was only 1.6 million(metropolitan area population I believe) and from what I gather, the housing market growth is slowly shifting from the suburbs to more downtown communities. You may really be correct in what you're saying but we have to be considerate because Calgary has at least until the early to mid 2050s of the rapid growth it's experiencing now so the city needs to plan its downtown growth at least until then.

id never heard of riverside before, had to look it up.

not to be callous but thats like an article from the onion.

possible sweet project if it goes ahead.

Back